2 Locations to Stay in Sicily?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My head is spinning as I've been googling and reading for several days now and remain uncertain. We will be renting villas/apartments for 2 separate weeks on Sicily. Does amy one have thoughts as far as the two best areas to settle in to do fairly comprehensive day tripping? Not that we will be using all our time that way. Would Sircusa and Taormina be too close together or can we head different ways from each of these and so have the opportunity to see much of the island? Currently I have been considering a place in Sciacca but that may not be a good location.

We will have a 6 year old and three adults and so are looking for places good for a child. Would appreciate recommendations for rentals if you have any. Thanks for your help.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:17 AM

I think they are too close. The two coasts are very different so I would try to spend one week in western Sicily and the second on the east coast Taormina for preference.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:56 AM

I agree that a week on the east coast and a week in western Sicily would be a better option if you want to explore much or most of the island.

But Taormina would not be my suggestion for the east coast. I do not dispute the beauty of its location or the fascination of the Greek theatre, but I would not want to spend a week in a town where the resident population to tourist ratio is, at a guess, 1 to 1,000. Siracusa itself (i.e., the island of Ortigia; modern Siracusa can and should be forgotten, except that one has to drive through it to get to the archeological zone and museum) is fascinating, although not totally devoid of tourists either, and is within easy reach of Noto and Ragusa, two exquisite Baroque cities. Even Taormina is only about 2 hours away by car, and the Roman villa at Piazza Armerina is probably within striking distance as well.
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:46 AM

We just visited Sicily a couple of weeks ago. I think that Eloise is correct. The Taormina area is lovely, but I wouldn't stay in the town itself. We stayed in Acriale which is about 30 kms South.

On the west coast, we stayed in Sciacca. The west coast is very different from the East coast. It is definitely the poorer side and is almost 'slummy'. But, the area is filled with wonderful ruins and some enchanting towns like Erica. Also, the interior of the island is vey beautiful.
Cheers,
Jan
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:43 AM

We rented an apartment in Taormina and loved it. Yes, it is touristy but it was amazing. There are plenty of Italians there between the people that live there and the Italians visiting. We found it convenient for day tripping, but loved it so much we ended up spending most of our days there. DH still says that it is overall his best vacation, not necessarily his favorite place, it was the experience in total. Our apartment was up the hill from town with a huge terrace. From the terrace we could see Mt. Aetna and the sea. Oh and the amazing smells. That terrace was heaven.
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good input. I think I know what to do--now to find the right places! Golfergal--do you have the name and website for the place in Taormina? We are looking at a place in Letojanni right right now.
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:40 PM

We just came back. Taormina is relaxing, friendly, excellent food, easy access for day trips. Absolutely spectacular views.