2 days in Barcelona

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days in Barcelona

We are a group of 6 traveling to Europe next summer and have just a couple of days to spend in Spain. We are interested in Barcelona or the area around it so that we can get a small taste of Spain. Any suggestions on places to stay, things to see and do? Four of our party are in their mid-twenties and we are in our early 50s, enjoy history, food & wine and just soaking in our surroundings.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
We are a group of 6 traveling to Europe next summer and have just a couple of days to spend in Spain. >>

mmm spain in two days. Even Barcelona in two days is a big ask. is it two whole days? or are you travelling during part of them? where are you coming from and going to? what is it about spain that attracts you and makes it worth your while going there for just two days?
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

We are going with our daughters and their husbands. One of our son-in-laws has not been to Europe. I know it's not ideal but we are trying to give him a taste of Europe while traveling to several countries. We are all interested in Spain and mainly chose Barcelona because of its accessibility to other areas we would like to see. None of us has been to Spain. I also have interest in San Sebastian, will make another post on that as well. We would probably begin our trip in Barcelona and I believe could spend 2 whole days there.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi dk,

well, that's a start. where are you planning to go after Barcelona? if you are starting there, 2 days gives you hardly any time to recover from jetlag, get a feel for europe [especially your SIL] find your way around, etc. etc. 3 days would be better, 4 would be ideal.

How would you be planning to get from Barcelona to San Sebastian?
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:58 AM

If I had only two days for Barcelona...

I suggest you stay at the Hotel Colon. It is on the Plaza across from the Cathedral, within easy walking distance of the Bari Gotic, Las Ramblas, and other sites. The breakfast buffet is very nice, try to get an inclusive rate. This is neither the most luxurious nor most atmospheric hotel, but it is well located and well kept. The staff is exceptionally helpful and it has become a favorite of ours. In any event, I prefer the Bari Gotic to other locations, such as the Eixampe. (sp?)

During our first trip, we walked to the Place Catalunya and picked up a hop-on hop-off bus. If you want to get an orientation to the entire city, it may be good for you, but will take an entire day to take advantage of it. OTOH, we have been delighted with the Tapas and Picasso tours we took with Jordan Sussleman. (http://www.hithisisbarcelona.com/) The tapas tour took us to places we never would have walked into, and, even tasting only, we had trouble walking out of. The Picasso tour was fascinating and we returned to one of Picasso's favorites for dinner that night. Incidentally, I found Jordan after reading about him in National Geographic Traveler. Make your reservations early.

Because you do not appear to have a great deal of time, I think it you might be well advised to rethink San Sebastian. Short of a private plane, I can't think of any way to get there which will not take the better part of a day. If you do not wish to stay in Barcelona for longer, consider destinations nearby, such as Girona, the Costa Brava,or even across the French border in the vicinity of Perpignan, e.g Coullioure.
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:54 AM

If you want to see loads of the city do a bike tour on your first day, dont miss the big sights like Sagrada Familia. If you want a great view head up Montjuic and you can get the cable car back down to the port. Then walk around Las Ramblas and Barrio Gothico. Dont miss the food market! Dont miss Placa Catalunya and the beautiful Gaudi architecture along Passeig de Gracia. The Gracia area is much more 'local' and you'll find lots of cute eateries and boutique stores around here. Sundown on the beach with a carton of Don Simon! Where are you staying?
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your very helpful suggestions! I think we will save San Sebastian for another trip. We will be heading across southern France after we leave Barcelona. The tours by Jordan look right up our alley, will check into those. I will check out the Hotel Colon also, any other lodging suggestions anyone?
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:29 AM

If you can, visit the old streets of Barcelona, Gracial, el raval, el Born...
There is a page probably you found interesting sites http://www.onedayinbarcelona.com

I hope help us