Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 days, 1 nite in London. Is day trip to Stonehenge doable on 1 of the days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're (wife, me, sister & her hubby) are going to spend 2 weeks in Europe (1 week in Paris, 1 week in Ireland). While in Ireland, we're taking 2 days/1 nite to fly (Ryanair) Cork to London. We leave EARLY 1st day and fly back to Cork LATE the next day - meaning we'd have about 8-9 hrs. or so each day. We were planning on using a "hop on/hop off double decker tour bus" for one day of site seeing London on one of the days (we only desire 6-7 quick stops to see the "Touristy" things). Is doing Stonehenge possible on one of the days? We'd have about from 10:30AM or so on day one and would have to be back to London by 4:30PM on day two to allow for transfers from/to Stansted using Ryanair's transfer. Any input would help. BTW, this is our 2nd trip to Europe for wife and I, but haven't done London yet. Tx, mmich929
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Yes - train to Salisbury then take buses or taxis from the station the several miles to Stonehenge. Don't miss Salisbury Cathedral as it's one of the world's most sublime and Salisbury the town is nice as well.
Trains go about hourly and take about 90 minutes to Salisbury from London's Waterloo station.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Who's that walking over my rickety rackety bridge?
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I'll post my usual link & make my usual plea to go and see Avebury

www.wdbus.co.uk/htm/ta/sdo-stonehenge.asp
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM

If going from Stansted Airport to London and out to Salisbury and back to airport by train in a two-day period you should investigate the LondonPlus railpass, that for $70 p.p. gives you two days of unlimited travel in about a 100-mile radius of London, including to/from Stansted and Salisbury out of an 8-day period.
thus on day 1 you take the train right from Stansted Airport to London (Liverpool Street Station) and the next day leave early for Salisbury by train and return by train and tube to Liverpool Street Stn and take train back to airport.
Even at $70 for all these trips the pass is a bargain - mainly because it can be used on any train anytime - unlike many cheaper tickets sold in UK that have restrictions as to time or specific train to use - you never know when you really will land. But the 3rd and 4th people traveling on the same pass pay only 50% of what the first two pay - the so-called Party Pass - so the other two get this all for $35/ two days of unlimited travel. (London Tube not covered by this pass - just trains.)
If going in Nov then all these prices are further reduced by 25% (Nov 1- Feb 28 - off-peak on all British Rail train passes, including London Plus gets 25% off.
So i think if you go to www.nationalrail.co.uk for the myriad of prices they have and varying conditions even with the cheapest ticket there this pass, for a party of 4 will be a boon for you. Not sold in U.K. to my knowledge. I always recommend BETS (800-441-2387; www.budgeteuropetravel.com) for any British rail product as they are experts in my long experience using them. As for Stonehenge vs Avebury - yes i agree with AlanRow that Avebury is in many ways more the romantic of the two - but it's not as easy to get to and Salisbury and its cathedral are a great component of Stonehenge trip and when you get home folks will say Avebury - what's that and you'll still be wondering how the world-famous Stonehenge really was. Well that's MO. the only question i have about the LondonPlus pass is that it's good on the Stansted Express trains direct to the airport - 99% sure it is, like it is on Gatwick Express but i'd call BETS and ask before buying to make sure. You don't have kids but for others all kids under 16 get free Family Passes to match whatever the adults buy!
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 01:24 PM

With not even two full days, I'd stay in London. To me, it would be a waste of time to do otherwise. There are so many interesting things to see and do in London that IMHO far outweigh a trip to Stonehenge.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM

I'm with bettyk. Especially since you have plane travel both days. Save it for when you can do a little more of England. London is amazing - you will easily fill your time.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM

if it were me, i would not waste all that travel time to get to london for just one night. however, if i did, i certainly wouldn't add more travel time by going all the way out to stonehenge (or avebury) for one of the two days.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:22 PM

I would have to agree totally with those who are questioning the wisdom of such a small amount of time in one of the world's greatest cities, only to leave it for a day. Yes it is doable however. Personally I thought Stonehenge a disappointing stop en-route - but to each his own on that one.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:14 AM
mjs

I also would spend more time in Ireland or France and save London for another trip.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
1) I wouldn't take 2 days out of your rushed time in Ireland

2) But if you MUST see London - then see LONDON and skip Stonehenge

3) In one day on the Hop-on-hop-off buses you will not have time to hop off "6 or 7" times to see things. Once you get off, visit something, and wait for the next bus plan on 45 mins minimum per "hop off" but probably an hour for two for most stops. (that's why the bus tours are good for 2 days)

Just to let you know - the above is not because I prefer Ireland to London. I LOVE London - but taking 2 days out of a 1 week Ireland visit just doesn't make much sense. If you do this - then stay in London. Traveling from London to Stonehenge to Stansted on the same day is nuts . . . . .
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 08:50 AM

For those going to Salisbury/Stonehenge there is a nifty double-decker bus tour that takes you both around the city, with a hop on hop off operating and out to Stonehenge - plus your ticket can be used on any local Wilts & Dorset bus to/from Old Sarum - on the edge of Salisbury and the subject of a popular book and an extremely interesting place to visit.

The pamphlet i have is from last year and lists Guide Friday as bus operator (Guide Friday and similar ilk bus tours operate such services in many UK cities, usually serving the train station. Buses run April thru October but only daily from June thru Oct 10 - and weekends the rest of October. Butno tours June 21 when Stonehenge is closed part of the day for celebration of Summer Solstice. Goodle Guide Friday for current info.)

Bus tour to Stonehenge last 2 hours, including 50 minutes at Stonehenge itself.

Note that the LondonPlus rail pass could be good for folks taking at least one other train ride besides to Salisbury - the pass is not sold in UK by the way - and if buying a regular train ticket - South West trains has a special "All in One" ticket including return train travel and the Salisbury and Stonehenge bus tour, which gives commentary as well once aboard to learn the history of Salisbury, one of Britain's most historic towns, and Stonehenge. Railpass holders can buy the All in One ticket as well but don't pay for the rail portion if they use a day of travel on their pass.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM

I would spend more time in London and skip Stonehenge. There is so much to see in London it is a shame to be there for just 1 day.

Carolena
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM

For info on the bus tours: www.guidefriday.com and then chose UK and click on Stonehenge.

schedules, prices, etc.