Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to do the Greek Islands and Amalfi Coast in 2.5 weeks?

Sep 8th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Today is the first of my research for a trip to Greece. My husband and I are thinking of going to the islands and also Amalfi Coast in Italy. Is it possible to do both in 2.5 weeks or should we limit ourselves to Greece? We are in our early 30's and enjoy "popping" around to multiple locations, so the travel time in between is not a problem. Thanks!
Sep 8th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Also, we have traveled the rest of Italy and Amalfi is the only area we have not yet explored. So I know we would have to fly to Rome, get a car or train the Amalfi and then fly to Athens. Is Amalfi worth going to? I hear wonderful things, but I also hear the Greek Islands may be even more beautful!
Sep 8th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Never having been to Amalfi I can't make a comparison, but I've been to the Greek Islands many times. They are wonderful, and if you truly enjoy 'popping' around then the ferry system will be right up your alley. Choose a group of islands that are close together for maximum usage of your time, such as the Cyclades. If you do go there be sure to visit the village of Oia on Santorini, the most beautiful and timeless village on the most amazing island in the Aegean Sea.
Sep 8th, 2006, 11:34 AM

I think you can do both in your time frame, but you'll be cutting it close. Travel time betweem destinations may be more complicated and longer than you anticipated. For instance, you can't get to Greece from Naples. You'd have to backtrack to Rome, then fly to Athens and connect through there by boat or plane to one of the islands.

Also, travel time bewteen the islands by boat takes at least a few hours ( by hydrofoil); longer by regular ferry.

As for which destination is better or more beautiful, it's like choosing between two paradises. I've been to the Amalfi Coast many times, but never to Greece before this summer, and it totally blew me away- the natural beauty, ( Oia, Lindos in Rhodes), the incredible history, the warmth of the people, and the simple but wonderful food.

Sep 9th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I would also recommend you do Greece only. Every island is so different and if you visit several you will have plenty of different impressions. I have been several times and can't get enough of it. This year I also rented a car and did some parts of the mainland - absolutely amazing. If you want to stay in some truly exceptional places, check out www.yourgreece.gr. I booked through them twice, and they are perfect, both in terms of service offered and the hotels they represent. They ask for a small service fee when you book through them, but it is absolutely worth it - I got so much personal advice from them and they made my holidays simply wonderful.
Sep 13th, 2006, 11:45 AM

It's possible. We did it for our honeymoon in 2004. It was a bit rushed and I'm not sure I'd recommend as many stops as we made, but it can certainly be done. We flew into Athens, then went to Hydra (by hydrofoil), Mykonos and Santorini (both by Aegean flights). We then flew back through Athens to Naples, where our hotel had a car waiting to take us to Positano. We then ferried to Capri for a couple of days before flying back home from Naples. We did this in 18 days. If you're going to do it, I'd recommend only 2 stops in each area plus Athens. I would also definitely try to fly into and out of Naples. Rome is 3 hours away and that would make an already long travel day even longer. My vote would be 2 nights in Athens, 3-4 days each on 2 different islands (one of which should be Santorini), then 3 days each in two Amalfi Coast locations (one of which should be Positano). We liked Ravello better than Capri, but it's a matter of taste. Hope that helps.
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM

europhile-

Just wondering how you would compare the Amalfi coast and the greek islands. We were in Ravello and Capri for our honeymoon, and are planning at trip to Santorini next May.

Thanks
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Europhile,

I didn't think it was possible to fly between Athens and Naples. What airline did you take?
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM

We are going from Naples to Athens on Alitalia however it makes a short connection via Rome...it's not a direct flight.
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM

They are very different. We actually prefer Greece (specifically Santorini), but we also love the AC. Of the places I've visited in Greece, I'd say that only Santorini has that dramatic, cliffside landscape that you see in Amalfi. Many of the other islands are flat and even struck us as barren once you got inland (except mountainous Crete). However, we loved the greek island towns, harbors, and especially the people, and the general vibe was a lot of the charm for us. The greek islands were more laid back, less formal, and quieter (except Mykonos) than Positano and Capri. More comparable to Ravello, I'd say. We absolutely love Oia in Santorini and will visit there again and again, but we won't likely revisit Positano anytime soon (we've been there twice). Really it's a matter of personal taste. We love the food in Greece and the atmosphere of the island towns. And there is so much more user-friendly coastline to enjoy in Greece (as opposed to the small rocky "beaches" on the AC. Again, we loved them both, but for us Greece wins out. Incidentally, this summer we went to the south of France instead of our usual stop in Greece (my trip report is terribly overdue), and we did not enjoy it nearly as much. It was beautiful, but we found it much more formal, expensive and snooty (of course, this could have been due to the hotels we chose). Anyway, we just weren't as relaxed and de-stressed there as we are in Greece. I hope that helps.
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Weadles- are Athens-Naples flight was not direct. We've done it twice, once connecting in Rome and once in Milan. It makes for a long travel day, but still not as long it would have been flying into Rome, collecting luggage and making our way south to Naples via train or car. Any way you slice it it's a long distance to cover, but two very beautiful areas!
Sep 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Thanks for your description Europhile. Sounds like we will love Oia. We loved the views from Ravello, but I prefer a less formal, more "chill" vibe. Can't wait until May.....
Sep 21st, 2006, 12:22 PM

You may be able to fly direct from Athens to Naples on Aegean. See:

http://www.aegeanair.com/aegeanen/schedule/

Naples is one of the cities that you can't book on the website, however. It says you have to call, but a travel agent might be able to do it.