Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st trip to Italy- itnerary planning- help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (both 26) are planning our first trip to Italy. We are leaving October 2 and will come back October 14. Here is the basic outline of our itenerary. We'd love any suggestions as to how to make the most of our time there.

Oct 2: Depart USA
Oct 3: Arrive in Naples at 12 noon. We don't have many things that we're dying to see in the city, so we'll probably spend the afternoon and evening exploring on foot as we recover from our flight.
Oct 4: Get up early and take the train to Pompeii; explore the ruins (should we take a guided tour?); take the train that evening to Sorrento.
Oct 5: Get up early and take ferry/hydorfoil to Capri; blue grotto
Oct 6: Get up early and take train to Rome (or maybe a late night train the night before); explore Ancient Rome
Oct 7: Vatican; Spanish steps; etc
Oct 8: Catacombs & Appian Way
Oct 9: 2 Options: Take train to Florence or rent a car to drive to Florence via Siena. I would really love to experience the countryside scenary, but my husband is not keen on the idea of renting a car at all. What's the best plan?
Oct 10: Florence
Oct 11: Florence
Oct 12: Venice
Oct 13: Venice
Oct 14: Depart Venice at 11:00 am

I know- it's alot to cover in 13 days. But, we know that we might not get to go back- afterall, there are just too many places in the world to see! So, we want to experience a little of everything. We're not big "art people", so that will buy us some time. But, of course, we want to see the David. We're more interested in taking in the scenary, the culture, and the food, while not missing the major historical and artsy things. Any suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated. We're so excited!
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM

I would strongly suggest getting a guide for Pompeii. They give so much history along the way that you probably wouldn't get any other way. Also, if you really want to see Tuscany for sure rent a car. The country side is so beautiful and you will want to visit a winery I am sure. I wasn't that crazy about Capri just because it has so many tourist gimmicks but then again I am from Florida so I didn't go for the beaches but the ride over is nice. Loved the city of Florence. We stayed in a villa right in the center of everything so we did everything by foot or bus. The leather shops are really neat to explore along with the usual sites. We drove from Sorrento to Tuscany and the drive was beautiful and not that busy. Almost all rental cars are stick shift but you can get automatic for more money.

Naples seemed like a dirty city to me but I am sure there are nice areas and much to see there as well.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Naples is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, certainly Italy. Its energy is unmatched. As a young couple you will love Naples. Whereas there is nothing to do in vbenice at night, Naples is HOT!

There is A LOT to see.
Archealogical Museum is best in world.

Are you a fan of Opera? Might be worth it just to experience the Opera house.

Home of the Pizza:
http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=117

Hire an English speaking guide for Pompeii. It will make the experience much better.

Maybe combine Pompeii and Capri into one day. Go to Pompeii about 8A - then leave about noon and head to Capri for late lunch.

With regard to car, take train from Rome to Siena or other closeby hilltown and rent car there. I would then stay out there, maybe train to Florence or skip it for Venice.

The last four days need some thought.

I suggest 3 nights minimum per place. I would add more nigths in rome and enjoy the city. Skip Florence this time since art isn't your thing anyway. The David will be there.

See some video of Campania (the region where Naples is) here:
http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=104

Check out therest of Italy too.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Here's my honest reaction:

As a matter of small detail, you should just go straight to Sorrento or Capri.

Unless you have a very particular reason for wanting to see the catacombs and the via Appia, there are more interesting ways to spend your time in Roma.

As a matter of an overall plan, it's not so much that you are trying to cover too much ground (you are), it's that you are probably spending too much doing things you don't really want to do. Sounds like you feel obliged to sightsee the famous sights, and are afraid to miss them, but have no real independent appetite to see them. It sounds like you would more enjoy scenery and feeling "away from it all," relaxing and eating great food, so why don't you focus on that, plus wandering? It is really hard to be in Italy and not get smacked in the face with history and art, almost wherever you go. So rather than guess at the 'must-sees' or waste time with tourist attractions like the Spanish Steps, why not just enjoy wandering around Roma and doing what you feel like it? Just try not to miss the Pantheon during the day.

Without being willing to rent a car -- and you shouldn't do it unless both of you are comfortable with the stresses of it -- it is hard to see the hilltowns of the interior.

What you could do is extend your time in Roma to include a daytrip to Orvieto (one hour by train) and stay in Siena rather than Firenze, and take a day trip to Firenze.

Here's a trip you might enjoy:

Fly to Napoli. Go straight to Capri and just relax for 2 or 3 nights.

Go to Roma, stay near the Campo dei Fiori for four nights, and do a day trip to Orvieto (one hour by train).

Go Siena (or Fiesole), and take a day trip to Firenze. (Take a look at Fattoria Maiano in Fiesole).

Go to Venice.

It's still awfully rushed, but you might have more real fun and be amazed and how stuffed with fascinating things Italy is -- and want to go back.

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM

PS: Shopinful makes a good point about Capri. A lot of people are disappointed it's so touristy, especially if they just go for a day trip.

But try not to switch hotels too much even if you stick with your plan of Napoli, Pompeii and Capri. Either stay in Napoli, or stay in Capri, or stay in Sorrento the whole time.

By the way, here is an aerial view of Pompeii, which will still be quite warm in the beginning of October.

http://it.pinellas.k12.fl.us/schools...37AB8AD6CB.jpg

It is absolutely enormous -- an entire city to walk -- and if you are very motivated, you might find it worthwhile to get a guide. Or you might decide you'd rather have a more manageable vacation, and visit the forum in Roma and visit Pompeii some other time.

By the way, I am so taken with Pompeii I am going back in a few weeks to stay for a couple of days. I'm not trying to discourage you from seeing it. Just trying to help you picture a nice vacation --- nice for you.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Zeppole,

While in Pompeii you may want to see Stabiae. While Pompeii was the city, Stabiae is where the the Senators and other big shots built their homes on the water. Not much unlike today. I went on a tour with the archeologist and architect and it was fantastic. I am happy to set this up for you with the Stabiae foundation.

The Stabiae ruins are really spectacular. See some video here:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=175
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:21 AM

Can I get there without a car?
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Yes. It's right between Sorrento and Pompeii on the coast. The new city has a port etc. Up in the hills is where they found all the ancent mansions.

Train station is closeby. I will let the people know you are coming -maybe then they can pick you up and tour. They just built a new center in a restored convent where they have rooms to rent for photographers, students, travelers...

I'll post the link or just email me and I'll send the information directly to you.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone for helpful suggestions-- keep them coming!

I was wondering if anyone knows of a reputable tour company in pompeii that we should use.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks, web. When I get closer to the actual leave date (right now late in October or November), I'll send you that e-mail.

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Zeppole, if you go to Stabiae, there is a cable car from the Circumvesuviana station at Castellammare di Stabia to the top of Monte Faito. And the view from there looks like this:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2230458

Lucy122807, sorry to detour your thread.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Bellisima! Grazie!

Hope we have pretty weather!