Search

1st trip to Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st trip to Italy

Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Italy for about 10-12 days. I definitely want to go to Venice, Florence(surrounding areas), Rome & Naples. What's the best time of day(s) that I should spend in each?
Also, any fun, off the beaten path day trips anyone knows of? Are there places where I should take a tour or just hoof it on my own?
Thanks so much,
Ali
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 03:58 PM

I suggest you pick 3 destinations and enjoy them. I would fly into Venice and home from Rome and do this:
Arrive venice---3 nites
Train to Florence--3 nites with day trip to Siena
Train to Rome---4 nites
Fly home

If you have more then add it to Florence and day trip more in Tuscany. Good luck !
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Does your 10-12 days include your travel days? Are you from the U.S.? If so keep in mind that you probably have an overnight flight to reach Italy and your last day will be totally devoted to your flight home.

Your wish list is four destinations, some of which are far apart even by fastest transport. You'll probably use up almost an entire day each time you change cities when you add up checking out and into hotels, travel time, waiting time, and so forth. So 2 to 3 of your days with such a plan would disappear to travel.

If you have 10 days not including arriving/departing travel, that leaves 7 to 8 days of vacation. (With 4 destinations, that's 1-2 days in each place)

If you have 12 days not aincluding arriving/departing travel, that leaves 9 to 10 days of vacation. (With 4 destinations, that's 2-3 days in each place)

Neither schedule allows for much off the beaten path day trips. I see two options:

1- Keep 4 destinations in 12 days, and be ready to be on the move and skim the surface of most places.

2- Choose Venice-Florence-Rome or Florence-Rome-Naples in 12 days to include some time to relax and explore a bit more.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM

It really depends on your goals. Are you checking off names on a list? Or do you really want to see/experience any of these places. In 10 days I wold do 2 cities. With 12 actually on the ground you could push it to 3 - but you're starting to get into skim the surface territory.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Also - don;t know what you mean by time of day?

For what?

Do you mean what hours things are open? that depends on time of year. from May through October things will be open longer hours - in off season many things will be open shorter hours - as well as having much shorter hours of daylight for seeing outdoor things.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I am from the US. I know that a flight over is about 15 hours, so yes that does cut into my travel time. I didn't think about that. I just figured I would fly into either Venice or Rome and start from there.
I just really want to see Venice and areas including and around Florence. I would also love to go to Naples and check out the Amalfi coast, but I feel so overwhelmed. There's too many places to go to, in just the short time that I will be there.
I'm not so moved by Rome, but I know it's a must see. I mean you can't go to Italy unless you go to Rome, right?
The time of day thing from my last post, was just estimated days I should spen in each main city. Like 3 in Venice, 3 in Florence, 3 in Rome, etc.
Thanks again for everyone who has responded.
Ali
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Does it seem like too much to go from Venice to Florence to Naples and then back to Rome? Am I putting too many places in one trip?
ARGH! It's so overwhelming!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Ali, I don't think you want to worry about what you *ought* to do and just plan a trip for yourself. Pick up some guides at the bookstore. I like Eyewitness, but other people swear by Rick Steves or Lonely Planet or others.

Personally, I think it's too much for so short a visit. I'd be inclined to spend 4-5 days in Florence and 4-5 days in Venice, and enjoy little side trips.

You might start by checking on flights and finding out what is easy. If you could start in Venice and end in Florence, that would be great.

From Florence you can make day trips to Pisa and Siena; from Venice you can visit Padua and Ravenna. But honestly, if you enjoy wandering, sitting, chatting, and eating, give yourself time to do those things.

Rome is a marvelous place and it will always be there. I promise you -- there will aways be a next trip to Italy.

Best, Ellen
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Ellen,
Thanks so much for putting my mind more at ease.
I know that I really want to see Venice and Florence and yes I am the type of person to just wander around and find things on my own. I love just adventuring out or sitting at a cafe and people watch. I don't want to feel like I'm rushed to have to go here or there.
I think I just felt like if I'm going to Italy, I should see as much as I can.
Anyway, thanks so much.
Ali
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 07:47 PM

From your second thread it appears that you have decided to skip Rome this trip, which is a good idea in my opinion.

May I suggest Ali_Isky that you stay with one thread otherwise it gets confusing to follow your trip plans. Best regards and have fun planning your time in beautiful Italy.
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly,
Sorry for any confusion. The other thread was my second question of if I should even go to Rome. This thread was my initial one.
Planning, researching, and attention to details are definitely my strong suits. I'm just trying to get as much information as I can.
Thanks,
Ali