Search

1st Time To UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Time To UK

I have to travel to the UK for business in the next couple of weeks, I will be flying into Heathrow and traveling to the Cambridge area. Does anyone have any advice on doing this, ie renting a car at Heathrow vs taking the tube. Also has anyone stayed in this area, what are the local hotels like and is there anything to do or see in this area? Thanks
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:10 PM

I'd rent a car (particularly if your company is paying) rather then going from Heathrow into London and then taking a train from Kings Cross Station to Cambridge. It can be a hassle with luggage and it is not a straight shot from Heathrow to Kings Cross, besides if you want to sightsee from Cambridge you don't want to rely on local buses, etc.<BR><BR>I've never stayed in Cambridge, but I have been there and it's a nice town with a nice atmosphere (if you like university towns). If you will be staying in the area you can just branch out for day trips, I'd recommend Ely for one. Lovely cathedral there! There is also an Air Museum a few miles outside Cambridge which is quite interesting if you are into that sort of thing. SWe've just enjoyed the small towns in the area.<BR><BR>Since Cambridge is only 1 hour from London you can hop into the city for sightseeing or a show or something too.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:12 PM

I meant to say it is a straight shot from Heathrow to Kings Cross (on Piccadilly Line), but there is a lot of walking once you exit the tube if I remember right.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:44 PM
ron

If you need a car in Cambridge, renting at Heathrow makes more sense. If you don’t, the JetLink 787/797 coach service, see www.gobycoach.com, is more convenient and nearly as fast as the tube and train option mentioned above.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Ron is correct - if you need to get directly to Cambridge there is no reason to go into central London. Just catch the direct coach from LHR to Cambridge. If you later need a car in Cambridge (you don't need one IN Cambridge - but one helps for touring outside the city)you can always rent one locally.<BR><BR>If you want to do some sightseeing in London you can take the train from Cambridge to Kings Cross.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Don't drive in central London if you can help it. If you are going straight to Cambridge, take that bus someone mentioned, or think about a car service like Swiss Cottage Cars or Ray Skinner's. (Search this site. He is almost a legend.) <BR>Likewise, a car in Cambridge itself is definitely not recommended. But for day trips, it could well be useful.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:21 PM

If this is your first trip to the UK,I suggest taking the Airbus from Heathrow to Kings Cross and taking the train. The Airbus might take a little longer than the tube but you are above ground and should enjoy the top deck of the double decker. <BR><BR>How muct time do you have in Cambridge? Check this site for ideas http://www.e-cambridge.co.uk/.<BR>A must see is King's College Chapel -awesome. Then the Fitzwilliam Museum. The city is compact so you can wander around to see most everything and I'm sure the tourist info office will have maps, etc.. <BR><BR>If you have more time you could rent a car. The Duxford Air Museum is definitely worth a visit as is the American Cemetery. Ely has a magnificent cathedral and Oliver Cromwell's home. If you're into thoroughbred racing Newmarket is on the way to Bury St Edmunds and its ruined abbey. I would think all of these are available by bus from Cambridge.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:58 PM

Had a second thought. If you are a young man or woman, remember this is a university town and I'm sure the pubs are fantastic and you might find somebody willing to show you the sights.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 02:04 PM

After a transatlantic flight, particularly a red-eye, most people cannot safely drive. Furthermore, the UK drives left, not right.<BR><BR>If you are on company expense, see if your company can arrange a ride for you to Cambridge. If not, others' suggestions about taking a bus to Cambridge makes sense. If you want to see London for a day or two, you can later travel from Central London to Cambridge either by train or car. Parking in Cambridge is difficult and many people park in the several municipal parking lots outside the downtown area and take the bus.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:59 PM

We did just what you are planning.<BR>In January we spent over a week in a town about 30 miles east of Cambridge.<BR>We rented a car at Heathrow and even though I was a bit nervous about driving we had no real problems.<BR>Getting out of London on the M-25 was a bit stressful but we learned quickly.<BR>When we went into Cambridge proper we parked on the outskirts and used the Park and Ride bus service. This excellent system which is in a number of British towns should be adopted here in the U.S.<BR>Check out the sites mentioned in this thread. Seeing the &quot;Backes&quot; of the colleges is a must. Also the Fitzwilliam museum is excellent too.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:27 PM

the driving around heathrow can be a bit tough, but it is right off a major highway which will connect to the road north to cambridge....having said that i think you should go on public transportation or be driven by a driver with your company picking up the tab...<BR>secondly..no one has said it but parking in and around cambridge is quite difficult not to mention mastering the traffic pattern there...<BR><BR>the area around cambridge and the town itself is wonderful...don't miss it...maybe go by some public transportation and once there rent a car for a day or two....