re: Rental car in the UK...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be arriving on the Eurostar from Paris and will need to rent a car to drive to the Cotswolds for four days, then to Windsor for two days. From there, we fly home from Heathrow. Can anyone give me advise on the following:

Where should we pick up the car?

Can we pick it up & drop it off in different locations, and if yes, is there a major increase in the price doing so?

Any other advise on renting a car in the UK is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. We have not yet purchased our Eurostar tickets, so the station we arrive at is still flexible at this point (we are booking tomorrow, 2/13).

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:52 AM

It's possible to pick up hire cars at Ashford International station, which is on the motorway system. From there, it's a painless (M20, M26, M25, M40, A44) drive, taking 2.5 hours to the first "The Cotswolds Start Here" sign, or 2 if Mrs F's driving. Not all Eurostars stop at Ashford.

Many people dislike collecting hire cars in central London. It's actually, a slightly faster drive from Waterloo to the Cotswolds at weekends and in the evening, though I've given up trying to get people on this board to believe it.

Unless someone on the board has done this recently, you need to check company by company for any surcharges that might be imposed if you collect at Ashford and drop at Heathrow.

If there is, and you find it excessive, then you might be better advised getting out to Heathrow from Waterloo (probably quickest by getting the train to Feltham from Waterloo and then ther connecting bus), and collecting the car there. It's about 75 mins from Heathrow to that Cotswolds sign.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Sorry: message written after the evening's first G+T.

The quickest (though many get irritated at the price, which is why the scenic route via Feltham cropped up) way from Waterloo to Heathrow is of course the Bakerloo line tube to Paddington and the Heathrow Express. About 30 mins Waterloo-Heathrow, and noteworthy for being one of the few major tube journeys that involves no staircases. So it's close to painless with luggage.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 11:39 AM

If your only purpose for going through London is to pick up a car for your trip through the Cotswolds - I would NOT take the Eurostar.

I would fly directly from Paris to LHR and pick up a car there. Whether you drive up from Ashford, drive from Waterloo, or travel across London and and take the HEX to pick up a car at Heathrow will all be more complicated, take longer and be more expensive than just flying directly into LHR.

Now - IF you were staying the night in London that would be an entirely different story. But just to pick up a car -- fly straight to LHR.

(If you still want to take the Eurostar - collecting the car at Waterloo makes the most sense IF you are arriving on a Sunday or maybe even on a Saturday - but if it is on a week day you'd be nuts to pick it up there)
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Or don't be afraid to fly from Paris to Luton or Stansted if cheaper. We got quotes from AutoEurope and found that while there was a small charge for pick up or drop off at airports, it didnt' make any difference if you picked up at one and dropped off at another.

I do remember that AutoEurope had one option for picking up at Waterloo.
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Be advised that if you are picking up a car at Ashford ,on a Sunday, particularly, your only option is Avis. And they extract a pound of flesh!During the week you might be able to get another company to meet you.

In fact Avis is the only rental agency at the station!

If flying is an option, i'd take it and pick up the car at an airport outside of London. Having picked up a car near Mayfair and having a shortish route from London ,it was still a trauma! There are few traffic lights, everyone but you knows the "rules"..and follows them.. which never would happen in the US..and you don't know where the hell you are going and there are no road signs!

we collected at Ashford and were supposed to drop off at Heathrow , but decided it was more convenient to drop off at taunton..there were no additional charges and it was so much easier , though maybe a bit more expensive, counting train fare. But time saved and aggravation saved are worth it!
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Actually, we will be in London for a little more than a week, take the Eurostar to Paris, then back again. We will be arriving back in the UK on a Saturday.

Thanks.