1st time to Italy...Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Italy for the first time on Sept 6 until the 16. Flying into Venice then to Florence then to Roma then to Calabria. We have good friends in Venice.I haven't made reservations yet, decided what to wear or whether I should change our flight to leave from somewhere else or go back up to Venice (That's where we're flying into)to fly home. Somebody help me pleeze!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM

We had a similar itinerary, but flew into Milan and took a train to Venice. It wasn;t tht far and might be cheaper that way. Are you looking for hotel recommendations is Venice. We had the most wonderful, small, inexpensive hotel right on the Grand Canal. Your question was a little too general for me to give you any more info.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM

It is good you are flying into Venice, it is a good starting point to break you in for your first time. I would not fly home from Venice though. You will spend precious time traveling all the way back there so I would fly back from your closest airport to where you plan on ending your trip. Good luck.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Aferrick makes a good point. It also depends on where your home airport is. Philadelphia has a direct flight into Venice which is why I like that one.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM

With only ten days, I would do three places, not four. That's too much moving around. You lose 1/2 day or more every time you move. Save Calabria for another trip. Fly into Venice, spend three nights there, train to Florence and stay two nights there, train to Rome for five nights, fly out of Rome.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Sept 6 - 16? Does that include your travel days? If traveling from the US and departing on Sept 6, chances are you arrive on Sept 7. And chances are Sept 16, your departure day, will be all about getting to the airport and flying home.

Just trying to get a real count of how much time you truly have. . .
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM

I've always found flying into Milan very convenient - there's a bus to the train that takes you right to Venice. And then a boatto where you are staying.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

We actually have reservations to fly into Venice, think I should fly out of Rome. Yeah we leave on the 6th and arrive on the 7th @ 9:30am and fly back out on the 16th . So I only really have 8 days. Should I forgo Florence and go on to Calabria? I really wanted to visit relatives we have there.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Since you are set on Venice and Rome for arrival and departure, I would choose one other location at most. Each time you change hotels/cities, it will take at least half a day to do so. Venice is 4.5 hours from Rome by train, never mind getting to and from hotels at each end. Where in Calabria?--probably 4 or more hours trip from Rome. Your favorite destinations are at opposite ends of the country.

Florence is between Venice and Rome, so would fit better with them.

To meet your desires, here's a possibility:
Sep 7 arrive Venice. Hotel in Venice
Sep 8 Venice
Sep 9 Venice
Sep 10 Fly to Calabria (trip will take up most of day)
Sep 11 Calabria
Sep 12 Calabria
Sep 13 Fly/train to Rome (trip will take up most of day)
Sep 14 hotel in Rome
Sep 15 hotel in Rome
Sep 16 fly home

You really have only two full days in each place with all the traveling.