Venice Questions

Jan 20th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Venice Questions

I am traveling through Italy with a few friends.. I will be breaking off from the group to go to Venice on my own for one day and then plan on flying out of Venice. What airport in Venice do you suggest I use? How would you suggest I travel from Tuscany to Venice and how long do you think that will take? Thanks!
Jan 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Where in Tuscany will you be leaving from Pinkerton? Florence to the Santa Lucia Train Station in Venice will take about 3 hours. Note: Do NOT get off at Mestre, that is the Venice suburb train station that is one stop before the Santa Lucia Train Station.

Airport..where will you be flying to and on what airline? The main airport from Venice is the Marco Polo Airport. The other airport is in Trevisio..north of Venice which is the airport Ryanair uses.

When you say "on my own for one day and then plan on flying out of Venice" do you mean you will train to Venice and fly home from Venice the same day? Or will you spend an overnight in Venice?
Jan 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

My plans are really up in the air.. Sorry to be so vague!

I will be flying from LA to Rome and then Venice back to LA and nothing is booked yet so I'm not sure what the airline will be.. Sounds like my Venice airport will be Marco Polo most likely.

Again, not sure where we are staying in Tuscany... We are talking about Luca. Thoughts on Luca? We were going to do Rome for 3-4 days, Florence for 2 days, Luca for 5 days (we are looking into Villas or apts) and then I'd break off and do Vencice for a day.

I'm planning on taking the train from Tuscany to Venice, seeing the sights, spending the night and flying out the following day. If you have any suggestions of where I should stay or have dinner let me know.

Thanks so much!
Jan 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Hi Pinnketon, if you are going to be flying home to LA then yes you would no doubt be leaving from the Marco Polo Airport. Is there any chance you could give yourself one extra day in Venice... if you train from say Lucca to Venice and fly home the next morning (the flights normally leave the Marco Polo airport very early) you would only have an afternoon and evening in Venice. An extra day would be good..just a thought. The train website is: www.trenitalia.com

As far as hotels do a search here on Fodor's (the box in the upper right hand corner of the screen).
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:31 AM
ira

Hi P,

Schedules out of Venice tend to be weighted toward early morning flights.

I suggest flying into Venice before your friends arrive in Rome, staying 2 nights and then training to Rome to meet your friends.

See www.trenitalia.com for schedules.

You can spend the rest of the trip telling them how much they missed by not going to Venice.

>We were going to do Rome for 3-4 days, Florence for 2 days, Luca for 5 days...<

Flying home out of....?

Jan 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM

I'm sure LoveItaly knows this, but you might misinterpret her comment about "don't get off at Maestre" in Venice. Some trains end there and some angle off to other places. Make sure the train you are on is going on to the Santa Lucia station in Venice itself, or else you will need to get off and transfer at Maestre (which is no big deal, by the way).
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM

Train to Santa Lucia to get to Venice and you will be using Marco Polo airport. I also think you have not left enough time to properly see Venice and would plan on one or two extra days there. Venice is such a beautiful place you will not be able to get even a hint of it in only one afternoon and evening. Venice is also one of the safest places for solo travellers and you will be able to wander the streets without worry both during the day and in the evening. Enjoy.
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM

I cannot offer any transportation suggestions. However, since you said your plans were up in the air I will will offer this: My one and only regret about our trip to Italy was we only spent a day and one half in Venice. What a magnificent city!
Jan 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM

Thanks Patrick for explaining my confusing comment to Pinkerton. BTW, it is spelled Mestre, at least in Italian.
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:40 PM

Of course it is -- who put that silly a in my spelling -- not once but twice? Sneaky little computer gremlins!
Jan 21st, 2007, 07:47 PM

I like Ira's plan to go early, see Venice, then fly or train to join friends in Rome. If your tickets aren't bought yet, and you were doing open jaws anyway, this is perfect unless there is a time issue.

Most trains will connect in Florence to Venice. Lucca is nice enough, but I would spend less time there and more in Venice.