A few Rome and Venice questions

Jan 12th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

A few Rome and Venice questions

Hi everyone!

My husband and I will be in Italy the last 2 weeks of March. The first week, we will be traveling with a group and hitting Tuscany and Florence, with our last day in Rome. Then, my husband and I are going to wander off by ourselves for another week. We will have 6 days left in Italy, flying back to the states on the 7th day.

I have read a LOT of postings on this forum, and would like to know how many nights should we spend in Venice? I was leaning toward 3 nights in Venice, then 3 nights in Rome. Would we be spending too much time in Venice and not enough in Rome?

Also, is Verona worth a stop on our way from Venice to Rome?

One more question (thank you everyone in advance!) Has anyone ever attended the "Musica a Palazzo" in Venice? If so, what did you think and would it be worth seeing?

Thank you for your help everyone!
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Even six nights in Rome is getting it tight so no matter how you split your six "leftover" nights, you'll be shortchanging it.

With that understood, I would go ahead and plan 3 nights in each. you'll get to see most of Venice's attractions and get a "taste" of Rome which will help you in planning for a proper trip there.

As a point of reference, Rome has around 3,000,000 people and Venice has around 300,000. The number of "must see" sights, churches,museums, etc. in each roughly corresponds.
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM

I'd do six nights in Venice. But I'm a Venice nut-case.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...st-verbose.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rip-report.cfm

Three days in Venice does not even scratch the surface, in my humble, and somewhat self opinionated, opinion.
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM

No, with 3 nights you will not be spending too many nights in Venice!! We have been lucky to have gone to Venice several times. The last two times we stayed in Venice for 4 nights each time and would have loved to stay longer. We were able to tear ourselves from it just for one day to go to Padova. I think dividing your 6 days as you propose is a good plan. Fly back home from Venice.
Jan 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM

I would stick with your intended 50/50 split, but I am SO w/Peter_S here! Perhaps you will find your favorite to return to next year? I would not stop in Verona. Not because it is not a worthy destination, but because you only have a finite amount of time.
Jan 12th, 2011, 12:14 PM
ira

Hi SCG,

>Would we be spending too much time in Venice and not enough in Rome? <

IMO, one cannot spend too much time in Venice and 3 nights is sufficient for Rome.

Enjoy your visit.

Jan 12th, 2011, 12:21 PM

...and IMO, 3 nights is not nearly enough in Rome!! (5 days would be good.) But agree you probably should stick to your intended 50/50 split.
Jan 12th, 2011, 09:44 PM

I've lived in Rome for three years and still have 100+ places to see on my list... so I'm certain three days is NOT enough; But I also suggest a 50/50 split.... Trust me, you'll come back! That's how we ended up moving to Rome.
Jan 12th, 2011, 10:13 PM

AH, this is what makes the world go 'round. I agree with Peter and Ira on this one. Places change, people change. I loved ten full days in Rome many yrs ago, but more recenlty regretted having booked an entire 6 days there!
Your three-three split is good, and you can go back someday to the place(s) you most loved.
Jan 13th, 2011, 12:09 AM

You have just a week to spend in those places.
Three days are insufficient in both Venice and Rome. There is not an absolute value to say 2 days here or 4 days there, so I suggest you worry about more than how many days you need to visit these cities in a quiet way, I mean without suffering from the frequent moving.
You can see the main sites of rome in a day, maybe as in a postcard, such as Venice. The personal emotion is up to you and that will drive you to come and visit again the places you appreciated.
Jan 13th, 2011, 03:11 AM

You will run out of energy before you run out of things to see in both places, so your split won't be bad. I have been to Rome twice; each time I think I won't need to go back, but when I leave I still have as many places to see as I have already seen. I could hang out in Venice basically a week or two a year for the rest of my life. Venice is a place to be, Rome is a place to see.
Jan 13th, 2011, 04:50 AM

I would do the 50/50 split if thats all the time you have .that will only scratch the serface of both cities.You will fall in love with both and have to come back as i have many times .If i had to pick one it would be Venice.
Jan 13th, 2011, 05:32 AM

Since your last group day is in Rome, that gives you a total of 4 Rome days, right? So the 3-3 split sounds good. 3 days is enough to get a taste of Venice and 4 days is enough to get the highlights of Rome (although 5 would be better, but not enough better to take the day away from Venice). Is your return flight from Venice or Rome?
Jan 13th, 2011, 06:14 AM

Like others have been a bunch prefer

www.venice-tourism.com a truly magical no car water city

suspended in time like going back in history...like

Torcello with the 9th century Mosaics and Atilla's Throne

Rome many ruins Vatican museums www.ostia-antica.org my fav

but crowded cars fumes worth 2 days or so for me.

Verona is not on the way to Rome from Venice euroindustrial

except for old town and the arena not pretty might skip it.

Happy Journey,
Jan 13th, 2011, 06:31 AM

50/50 is a good idea for now but not enough for both places.
Jan 13th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Venice is a place to be, Rome is a place to see.

Great line, Ackislander! I agree
Jan 13th, 2011, 09:49 AM

This is so much based on personal tastes and preferences. For me, 2 days in Venice is more than enough and I have not had enough of Rome in the course of a dozen visits. I would do 2 in Venice and 4 in Rome.
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM

OK here is what u do. My background is that I lived in Italy 4 years and speak the language fluently and have been everywhere u can think in Italy. You have 6 days, I would split it up as the American tourist and as an adventurer by renting a car. You are leaving from Rome so end your trip there. Try to have 3 days there. Day 1 will be train from where ever u are in Toscana to Venezia Centrale. around 3 hours your hotel will set it up avoid locale trains. leave early to give u more time. use 2 days in venice , I was married there u dont need any more time to get the gist of the city. best thing to do is just get lost and walk for ever.Day 3 Rent a car and drive to verona, visit the Arena and Centro have a quick looksee 2 hours and leave to Garda Lake to the city of Garda, which is gorgeous, there u eat dinner and stroll near the lake. Return late to Venezia and return the car. Day 4 train Back to Rome use your last 3 days there, lots to see, I hope when u r in Toscana you will go to volterra, its a great eutruscan town. Firenze is real touristie, avoid a lot of time there, sienna is great, so is Cinque terra. GL and safe travels, PAUL