1st time Family in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2018, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of 5 will travel to London early June. We are looking for a recommendation of one night at Heathrow, as we get in around 10pm. Also, still searching for a, clean, place to stay in the London area for our 5 members. Staying in London would be great, but aware of the high prices so open to suggestions a bit outside of London. Just want to be someone close to a train or public transportation. Also, any suggestions on what to pack for the kids to wear around London? I was going to pack jeans for myself and husband, but is that too casual? We're heading to Ireland after and trying not to over pack. Thanks!
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 09:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- you need to tell us your budget. And how many nights? With a family (how old are the children) you want to stay as central as possible and not add an hour or two extra travel time every day.

I personally would not stay the first night at LHR. Even with a late arrival -- I wouldn't want the extra check in/check out/check in. Just bite the bullet and head in to the city on arrival. (Not if you decide to rent a flat though, since few would be willing to check you in at midnight)

No -- jeans are not too casual . . .
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 11:22 AM

"I was going to pack jeans for myself and husband, but is that too casual?"

What do you think the Brits wear? They're not going around in suits and dresses all the time. And honestly, why would you care? The bloody Brits and Irish won't know you from Adam (or Eve) and won't care.

"Also, still searching for a, clean, [sic] place to stay in the London area for our 5 members."

What members? Mom, Dad, __ kids (of __ and __ and possibly __ ages), any old blighters tagging along who raised either mom or dad? And what are "high prices" to you? State a nightly budget in dollars or pounds. You don't want to stay "in the London area," you want to stay in London. Most of London is close to a "train" or public transport (trains are public transport except for the Queen's royal train). If you're trying to shoe-horn a family of five into a hotel room, that won't go well. If you rent an apartment, that will be much better
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 12:26 PM

Check Travel Lodge hotels for modern hotels with reasonable rates right in or near heart of London.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trav...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Premium Inns too.

If staying a week or so check flats and you can book your own stuff and save a lot.

The two above posters are absolute know-it-alls (in a positive sense) about all things London and especially accommodations IME.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 01:24 PM

There are plenty of places in the Greater London area that are only 30mins on the train to central London, there is no reason why you shouldn’t consider one of these areas to stay in. Plenty of commuters do. However there might not be much of a saving when you add in the daily cost of getting to/from central London. Some areas in Greater London are pretty expensive anyway (eg Richmond).
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 01:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
But . . . That 30 mins equals 60 mins extra travel time to and fro. It is often cheaper to stay central than to pay for be extra travel time and ££ getting back and forth.

but we have no idea what this 'family' consists of, their budget, when or how long . . . Which all can make a difference.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 01:46 PM

Travel Cards cover Overground trains too - so cost may not be that much a factor. And the train ride qualifies them for 2 for 1. But better to be in London in case you want to go back to hotel during day and some neighborhoods in central London are so neat at night with lots of restaurants to chose from, etc. Suburbs can have limited options in these near your hotel or B&B.
Old Mar 4th, 2018, 01:59 PM

We haven't had any problems renting inexpensive apartments in central London for less than a week. vrbo.com or Airbnb.com. I also like flipkey.com because they have good policies for renters.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by tuscanlifeedit
We haven't had any problems renting inexpensive apartments in central London for less than a week. vrbo.com or Airbnb.com. I also like flipkey.com because they have good policies for renters.
We've always liked apartments rather than hotels, so I'd second this suggestion. Last June we stayed at Vancouver Studios in Bayswater, we were six and their 3 bedroom garden apartment was just ideal. It opens out onto a small garden area and we loved sitting out in the evenings with a bottle of wine, also breakfasted there. Bayswater isn't quite in the tourist area but it is well connected by the Tube. We paid GBP 300/night but I see that this year's price is 350.

You could also check out Citadines, these are also serviced apartments at several different locations in London.

http://vancouverstudios.co.uk/en/home

https://www.citadines.com/en/destina...SAAEgJYHPD_BwE
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 07:41 AM

"We paid GBP 300/night but I see that this year's price is 350."

Seriously, the OP is worried about the "high prices" in London and you're discussing someplace that costs $485/night?

"There are plenty of places in the Greater London area that are only 30mins on the train to central London, there is no reason why you shouldn’t consider one of these areas to stay in. Plenty of commuters do."

The rationale for living outside London as a resident who works in London does not apply to tourists who are going to London to see London itself, not to live in some decent affordable neighborhood that's not too far from work.

The OP, if she(?) ever returns, needs to discuss budget and composition of the family. Otherwise everyone here is just shooting at an unknown target.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 11:55 AM

Not sure what your overall time frame is but instead of flying to Ireland you could take the train to North Wales and spend a few days in that lovely area and head for the ferry to Dublin. For lots on trains check www.nationalrail.co.uk; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.rickteves.com. Conwy is a perfectly walled medieval town right on main train line to ferry port. If not into stopping fly.