Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st or 2nd class on train from Rome to Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looked at prices for train from Rome to Venice at the end of March for family of four and the difference between classes is 70 euros. Kids are 6 and 8 and we will have 4 suitcases (on the way to Scotland). Are your bags more secure on 1st class carriages? I read somewhere that in 2nd class you leave your bags at the end of the carriage? Thanks for any assistance.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:06 AM

I bought a first class ticket for this route but if you're looking to save money definitely get second class tickets. I don't think your bags are more secure in first class - I've traveled 2nd class many times and never had a problem. I use small suitcases and they fit on the overhead racks above my seat. Both 1st and 2nd class carriages normally have storage both overhead and at the ends of the cars.

I would get a seat reservation if there is one so you are assured of all sitting together and don't have to look for seats together while trailing your luggage. Try to get a space where the 4 seats face each other with a table between.

Bring snacks and drinks since the food/beverage on trains is expensive and uninspired.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:08 AM

there is a lot more room for luggage IME on Italian trains in first class - at least to keep an eye on them as there are far fewer seats in the same-size train car - I often find empty seats nearby to put my luggage on and you will find room under the seats - seats are significantly larger in first class.

Is this your only train trip - if going overland to the UK then consider some kind of railpass - kids under 12 pay 50% of pass prices - like a Eurail Select Saverpass if wroking your way to the Chunnel trains to Britain - if going straight thru then no just buy regular tickets and look for online discounts on the new Italy to France Thello trains - some lovely good discounts on those day and night trains to Paris - your kids may love the overnight Thello train from Venice to Paris - from Paris you hop to London or fly to Scotland whatever.

For the Rome to Venice train you can book two seats by two seats with a table in between.

Lots of great info on European trains - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com (good info on online discounts) and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you for your quick responses. This is our only train journey - flying out of Venice to the UK. Soooo, bags don't get stolen from end of carriage in 2nd class?
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:25 AM

All tickets on any other bur regional trains come with seat assignments automatically.

No I do not think bags get stolen often from 2nd class luggage racks at ends of cars but I would always keep my eye on them when the train stops - perhaps even go stand near them as when many folks crowd aboard and depart it could and allegedly has happened - same with such luggage racks in 1st class cars - consider locking your bags to a metal bar of something as long as you do not hinder others from getting their bags out. Many Rome to Venice trains will only stop a few times.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 08:36 AM

Lynda, we've traveled the trains often and almost always in 2nd class. We've never experienced any stolen luggage. That said, as mentioned, some folks use bicycle chains to lock their bags together. (I've never done that). The high-speed trains will only stop a few times so you can walk down or be in the area at each stop if you feel uncomfortable. This article, by GAC, outlines the differences between 1st and 2nd class:

http://tinyurl.com/1st-or-2nd

If you're locked into your dates, times, and trains, some of the MINI fares could actually be cheaper than the family rates - depends on their availability:

http://tinyurl.com/MINI-fare
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 08:43 AM

We traveled 4 countries by train in 2010 and heavily in Italy.
When we made reservations we made sure to get seats close to the end of cars so we can secure our suitcases with cables and bike locks to the racks, just in case.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
GAC

Here are some statistics which my article noted above omits:

On the Frecciargento train between Rome and Venice:

First class seats have 8.5 centimeters more seat/shoulder room;

First class seats supposedly have 5 centimeters more leg room (although this depends on the specific seat configuration of the railcar and number of seat rows).

Bags are not more secure in first class railcars, assuming you exercise the same amount of diligence as you would if you were riding in second class. In fact, some believe that first class is more targeted by thieves, because of a perception (correct or not) that ridership in first class attracts wealthier people.

The Frecciargento train makes only three stops between Rome and Venice: Firenze SMN, Bologna Centrale and Venezia Mestre. If you keep an eye out for your luggage while the train stops at these stations, you should be fine. Theft on Trenitalia trains is rare, but does occur. I'd be more concerned about SMALL items such as purses, briefcases, gift-wrapped items, laptop computers and other electronic gear.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 02:59 PM

We had 2nd class seats and stored luggage at the end of the car. I kept a close eye on the bags at stops but did not need to worry really. A friend of mine always locks her bag to a metal post with a cable lock. You could even lock all your bags together to make it more difficult for someone to take them.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM

In the heat of summer the main difference I noted was 1st class was somewhat air conditioned and 2nd class was terribly hot (and I live in Texas). This was on trains from Florence to Cinque Terra and CT to MIlan. Your route may not have that issue.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If your bags aren't huge, you can slide them behind your seat on the AV trains. Here's is a pic of 2nd class AV train. Notice the white part of the seat behind the lady with boots. You can slide a suitcase in there up to 25" (that is the width on the floor space). The length is longer so a bag about 24-25x12x30 should fit if it's not overstuffed). You can slide a 30" duffel in that space. Also on some of the AV trains in 2nd class, the overhead space in areas is larger in sections and holds larger bags. There is often a luggage storage space mid-train (clear plexiglass).
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:19 PM

You qualify for the family discount.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 12:06 AM

2nd class is absolutely fine. You'll find minimal chickens and straw and infectious diseases these days. It's very similar in comfort and decor to first class, but with slightly narrower seats and less legroom.

The scenery is the same in both classes (yes, people have actually asked that), and for the record both classes are just as fast and arrive at the same time(!)

The luggage situation is the same in both classes, plenty of racks, indeed all but the most humongous suitcases will probably fit on the rack directly above your head (backpacks and such certainly will). Nothing to worry about.

So it boils down to the extra cost and how you value paying more versus extra legroom, extra elbowroom, and sitting with more gently tapping laptops in 1st than screaming kids in 2nd.

By all means go first, I would (unless perhaps it was 19 euros 'Mini' fare in 2nd versus 120 euros in 1st with no Mini available), but don't feel you have to.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 03:03 AM

In western Europe, I always go first if someone else is paying.

I never go first on my own money. There are countries this doesn't apply: nowhere in Europe west of the old Iron Curtain are among them. Ever.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:29 AM

flanner obviously does not ride British trains much as the difference in 2nd or standard class there is huge from first class - oh yeh he commutes into London on sparsely filled commuter trains but long distance trains he has obviously never ridden much in 2nd class - seats there are so tiny compared to first class and often chock full - I just cannot believe that someone living in a gated estate in the Cotswolds would put up with 2nd class in Britain on long-distance trains. the difference is much greater than most European train systems, Eastern Europe included.

More hot air from the hills!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 05:23 AM

kybourbon - listen to Man in Seat 61 and re-think your constant advice that there is very little difference between classes and the extra money is not worth it - Man in Seat 61 says:

<By all means go first, I would (unless perhaps it was 19 euros 'Mini' fare in 2nd versus 120 euros in 1st with no Mini available)>
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 05:58 AM

I forgot the picture link that shows the space behind the seats.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ssainterno.jpg

PQ - Can you read? Man in Seat 61 posts 2nd class is perfectly fine all the time and if you notice, the first sentence in his post this time says the same thing.

>>>Man_in_seat_61 on Feb 25, 12 at 4:06am
2nd class is absolutely fine.<<<

He doesn't insist the only way to travel is 1st class pass like you do even when the person is saying they are on a budget. Nor do he and GAC exaggerate the differences in classes like you do. It sounds like the OP doesn't want to pay an extra 70€ for a 3 1/2 hour train ride and there is really no need to spend it if they don't want to. 2nd class on the high speed trains in Italy is much better than coach on an airplane.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM

bourbon - I am only taking you to task for your habitual saying there is no difference basically between 1st and 2nd class and as Man in Seat 61 points out there is - and it is not negligible as you would have it - yes I agree 2nd class is OK and will get you there but nice as it is there is a world of difference between it and 1st class - like the noisy babies and kids Man in Seat 61 refers to, etc.

And here is what Man 61 Seat says "By all means go first, I would (unless perhaps it was 19 euros 'Mini' fare in 2nd versus 120 euros in 1st with no Mini available), but don't feel you have to.

So my point is that you never ever say there is any difference between classes where there is and should be stated as options that folks may never think about.

and I do agree with Man about if the 19 euro fare is available, etc but they often are not.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 11:05 AM

7. MINI fares are available in both first and second class. Sometimes, the percentage discount in first class is greater than for the same train in second class (because MINI fares are all-capacity controlled).>

GAC presents things more objectively about first class - I have never ever heard you mention one thing about 1st class discounts - not saying you have not but I have not read it - again give all the options IMO - folks may be able to get a discounted first class ticket at times little more than 2nd class (Man in Seat 61 also says this).