1st Italy Trip, please advise on Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This board had been incredibly helpful! We have 2 full wks for honeymoon in late June:<BR>Tues: Arr Milan, to Varenna (Albergo Milano)<BR> 2 nights<BR>Train early Thursday to Padua a.m., to Venice<BR> p.m. (Hotel Galleria) 2 nights<BR>Train Saturday to Florence 1 night (a cheap <BR> but clean hotel--any recs?)<BR>Rent car on Sunday morning and drive to S. <BR> Tuscany (stay S of Siena--agriturismo <BR> wanted, open to ideas/suggestions)<BR>5 days in Tuscany/Umbria, 3 nights in one place in the south, then 2 nights somewhere (San Gimignana? Lucca? Chianti?) heading N towards La Spezia. Turn in Car on <BR>Saturday in Pisa. Train to C.Terre for 2 nights (Riomaggiore). Monday early along the coast (Genoa?), afternoon head back to Milan,<BR>Tuesday early flight back to U.S.<BR><BR>Thoughts or advice appreciated, especially on Tuscan/Umbria towns, Riviera towns and car rental points/info. Thank you!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Hi E Roz,<BR><BR>Sounds like you have a nice loop planned. My only comment is I think you will wish you had more time in Venice &amp; Florence. Is this your first trip to bella Italia? Maybe eliminate one destination &amp; add more nights - especially to Venice. <BR><BR>Check about picking up a car in Siena on a Sunday - they may not be open on a Sunday. <BR><BR>Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:07 AM
ira

Hi,<BR> I would also suggest staying one more night in Venice.<BR> Also, if you are staying in Siena, why hotels in Florence, Lucca, etc? I believe that you can use Siena as a base and either train or bus or drive to the other places.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:14 AM

I'd recommend reducing the number of different places you're staying in.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:20 AM

Agree with Ira. Pick a town as base and go from there. Spend more time in Florence and Venice- maybe 2 in Florence and 3 in Venice (you could always head back into Florence from Siena/San Gimi. or wherever it is you will be staying to see more if you desire). Do not miss Assisi or Orvieto.<BR><BR>You don't want to keep moving from hotel to hotel- very tiring and time consuming for me to be packing up every other day. You have a great trip outline which will require your energies for both sightseeing, and (since it is your honeymoon) your new spouse!<BR>Congratulations, and happy planning!<BR>
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks gang, definitely food for thought. We only want to hit a few key sites in Florence. On staying in 2 diff. places in Tuscany, it seems like pretty long drives between Assisi and Lucca. Thought we'd stay in S. Tuscany near Montalcino area and day trip around there for 3 days-even head into Umbria (bicycle 1 day) and then head N and stay near San Gimignano on our way to C.Terre. There are so many wonderful choices in Tuscany.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

to the top!