1 night free between venice & florence

Apr 18th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

1 night free between venice & florence

I will have 1 night free between Venice and Florence due to reservation changes. April 28 a Saturday. Thinking about Siena. If I go there whats best train to Florence then bus to Siena ? Rent a car and drive from Venice ?
Any other places I should be considering ?
My wife and I are 1st time visitors.
Thanks for the help
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Personally I don't really like 1 night stays, so I would just add an extra night to Florence and see Siena as a side trip. You would have to go through Florence on the way to Siena anyway. Doesn't make a lot of sense to go to Florence, load you luggage on a bus to Siena, check into a hotel just to load up on a bus back to Florence the next morning.

That said, Siena is magical at night and I actually prefer it as base for Tuscany over Florence. Depending on how long you have in Florence, I'd consider taking the extra day you have plus a night (or two) from Florence and stay in Siena using it as a base to explore Siena and the surrounding area.
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:49 AM
ira

Hi JT,

What's the rest of your itinerary?

Apr 18th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

April 26 & 27 Venice
April 28 Now open
April 29 & 30 Florence
May 1 & 2 Rome
I'm a little concerned about the 1st which is the moring we'll be traveling to Rome. I understand it's a Holiday so I though it would be best to be in
Florence that day for the train.
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:45 AM

I'd add your extra day to Venice - as April 26 is your arrival day, you'd otherwise only have 1 1/2 day in Venice, and there's definitely plenty to enjoy there.

Actually, I would have added an extra day to Rome (as you only have 1 1/2 days there, as well), but that would mean revising your entire itinerary, which you probably don't want to do this close to travel time.

As already pointed out, Siena is south of Florence, and you'd have to go to Florence first to reach Siena anyway. You could spend a night in Siena, and it's a lovely place, but given your short timeframe, I'd skip Siena for this trip. If you REALLY want to visit Siena, however, and are willing to backtrack back to Florence, then I'd rent a car upon leaving Venice, drive to Siena (we've done that several times), then drop the car off after a night in Siena after driving back north to Florence.
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM

I would add that day to Florence.
Apr 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
ira

Hi J,

I would add the day to
a. Venice or
b. Florence

I also suggest that you book your train online at www.trenitalia.com, STAT.

You will be traveling on a major holiday.

Apr 18th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I'd add the day to Venice also. Assuming you have a long overnight flight coming into Venice, you'll be jetlagged and in a daze for a day or two. So your sight-seeing won't be as intensive or efficient as it will be later in your trip.
Apr 18th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help.

Ira should I book my train for the Holiday or all trains ?
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM

What a great problem ... I will try to remember on April 28 to create a similar problem for myself: have dinner at my favorite "Veneto-cuisine" restaurant or something more Tuscan.

Fantastico!
Apr 18th, 2007, 09:52 PM

Add the day to Venice and, if the weather isn't too chilly, go to Burano for part of the day.
Apr 19th, 2007, 02:31 AM

Add a night to Venice. We spent 4-1/2 days there on our first trip and didn't even have time for such major sights as the Accademia and Guggengheim Museums, let alone any of the other lagoon islands.
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:26 AM
ira

Hi jt,

>... should I book my train for the Holiday or all trains ?<

If you know which trains you want, once you get onto www.trenitalia.com you might as well book all of them.