Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in Florence or Siena ... I'm pulling my hair out!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fodorites,

I'll be spending three days in this area in September. I plan on spending a day in Florence, a day in Siena, and a day touring the country side (with tour guide). I will not have a car. I will be coming from Venice before this, and heading to Rome after.

I keep going back and forth on whether to stay in Florence or Siena. Staying in Siena *sounds* more appealing, but Florence *sounds* more convenient.

I've gone through just about every post on here regarding both, but that just lengthens the debate in my head!So I'm asking for your advice - please!
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 06:59 AM

Have you been to Florence before? I would forget Siena and have the guide pick you up in Florence.

Why does staying in Siena sound more appealing?
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Florence.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:06 AM

I think Siena handles the crowds better than Florence. In Sept the crowds will still be huge in Florence, and after Venice & before Rome you might want less noise & congestion.

I prefer the Val d'Orcia area of Tuscany (Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano) over Chianti. If you stay in Siena, the Val d'Orcia is less than 1 hr away (south) - from Florence it's much farther (probably closer to 2 hrs by "group tour&quot.

However, I think there is more than 1 day's worth of stuff to do in Florence, while 1 day in Siena is just about right.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:12 AM
RJD

Since you will be without a car, I recommend you stay in Florence. The transportation facilities will make it easier on you and there is more to see and do in Florence. I've stayed in both places, and while both will be very crowded in September, Florence is worth the travail in ways Siena is not. As a small incidental matter, the Siena train station is quite a ways from downtown.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:13 AM
JBX

Relax . . . give your follicles a rest. Stay in Florence -- it's more convenient, more to do, and easier to access other towns.

For example, aside from your daytrip to Siena, you may decide to take the train to Pisa (an easy to-do), OR, can take the train to Lucca (another easy daytrip from Florence). OR, you can simply explore the many sites/shop/eat/hang out that Firenze has to offer.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:16 AM
ira

HI B,

It doesn't matter.

Choose the nicest hotel.

The bus between Siena and Florence goes both ways. Your guide can pick you up in either city.

There is reasonable night life in both places.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Just so you know, the railroad station in Siena is a very short taxi or municipal bus ride away from the center of town.

I really wish you could tell us what it is about either place which "sounds" more appealing but there is certainly much MUCH more in terms of great art and architecture to be seen in Florence than in Siena IMO and that would be the reason I would chose Florence.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Stay in Florence. There is so much more to see and do.

Not sure what you are looking for and what you mean by more "appealing" but Florence is one of my favorite cities in the world and you will need more time there than in Siena to do it justice.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Wow - thank you for the quick replies!

To expand a little on why I thought Siena *sounded* nicer (aside from being appealing in its own right) - I'm coming from Venice and going to Rome after so I thought it would be a good change of pace to stay in a smaller town. I've read that Siena is nice at night after the tourists (me!) leave so I thought it would be a good place to "go back to/start from".

I'm guessing I will love Florence as well, and know that I will not be able to even scratch the surface there. (Good reason to go back!)

Again all this is from reading the boards and books - which is why I appealed to the more experienced to make recommendations.

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:29 AM
MaureenB

I agree with Florence as your home base. If you've never been there, for sure you need to see David!
>-

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Having read your reasons for wanting to stay in Siena, I agree, stay there in the historic center. Florence can be very, very crowded in tourist season.

For your daytrip to Florence, take the bus. It leaves from central Siena and stops across from the main train station in Florence. Easy walking to the main Florence sights.

The Siena train station is outside the walls. And Siena is not on the main train line. Coming from Venice, you may want to take the bus from Florence to arrive in a more central location. We trained to Siena from the south and had to change at Chiusi. There was the choice of the bus or a train. We picked the bus; it wound around through the hills, past farms, and stopped at a couple small towns. It was a wonderful introduction to the scenery of Tuscany; I fell in love.
Just one caveat: this bus arrives/leaves freom the Siena train station, so you need to get yourself there.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM

The bus terminal in Florence is next to the train station. In Siena it is just outside the wall near the stadium. The bus is the best public transportation way to travel between the 2 cities for the reasons mentioned. It takes about an hour and a quarter.

There is enough to see and do in both cities to take up more than the day that you have and both are equally good for seeing the surrounding countryside. You are right in that Siena will be quieter at night. We spent a week there while DD was doing a semester and used it as a base for exploration. We especially enjoyed wandering at night when you you can get the medieval feel of the winding and hidden streets.

I agree with Ira that you should choose the hotel that you like the best and use that to make your decision. Florence will have more hotel choices.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:59 AM

Save your hair-go w/Florence-you cannot make a bad decision w/this question. Good Luck