Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1hr enough time DUS before catching flight to US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are contemplating an Air Berlin flight FLR-DUS-BOS. Flight is scheduled to arrive DUS 1415 and next flight departs for BOS 1515. I know that Air Berlin monitors flights and "fast tracks" people in danger of not making connections-do you think we can make it?
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 08:02 AM

What you are asking for is a probability question. No one knows. There are many reason for foul ups.

If it more productive to look at what happens in case of foul up.

Most people look only at the financial part of the equation. If you bought these as one reservation, the commitment is to take you from FLR to BOS. DUS just happens to be the current scheduled layover. In which case you would get a response that "financially" you are taken care in case of missed connection.

However, this has nothing to do with consequential impact on you. For this, you need to do research.

If the entire segment is a no go, which routes might Air Berlin use to bring you back to BOS? Are they acceptable to you?

If you get delayed to a later flight, how does it impact you?

If you can tolerate consequences of foul ups, you can take a risk. If not, you might want to look at connections you feel might offer "less" chance of foul ups.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 08:10 AM

And if you are on 2 different tickets it is not a good idea at all.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 08:11 AM

I am risk averse and would never trust a 1 hour transfer. Are they on the same ticket? If not can, would you be ok to book another ticket at the last minute?
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Not sure I understand the responses, so it would probably help if I clarify. We are on award travel. The time of the FLR-DUS portion of our AB return flight was changed to the degree that we will miss our connection DUS-BOS. We have been offered 2 alternative options to rebook. One is the flight I mentioned, the other is an early AM flight from FLR that leaves us with a 7hr layover in DUS. So the real question is which flight to book? I just wondered if the FLR-DUS flight I originally asked about seemed feasible. Thank you!
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

And yes, this is all part of a Open jaw RT ticket BOS-DUS-VCN and then FLR-DUS-BOS.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 03:31 PM

I would never book a 1 hr layover between flights. I'm not sure that this is still the case, but you might go to the bottom of the queue for re-routing since you are on a travel reward ticket. Paying customers might go first!! Find something to do for the 7 hrs. I've had a 5 hr layover and just read my Kindle for most of the 5 hrs. Have a nice dinner - the airline meal will be awful.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu and all who responded. The others in our party were booked by their travel agency on the 1210 flight, so in order to stay together we will probably do the same. Also whether we get to DUS in early AM or at 1415, there is only the one flight back to BOS at 1515...