18th Century fashion exhibit in NYC

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18th Century fashion exhibit in NYC

After the way the "$280 jeans" thread quickly reeled off into the absurd (admittedly with contributions from me, too), I hesitate to offer another fashion thread.

But, today's NY Times has a very entertaining review of the new exhibit at Metropolitan Museum of Art. It features manniquins dressed in elaborate 18th Century gowns and towering wigs, arranged in erotic poses depicting the decadently idle ways of aristocrats with too much time and money.

You may be able to access it from this link http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/30/ar...gn/30MUSC.html. (My computer skills are limited, to say the least.) If not, just go to the NY Times website, then to the "Art Review" section. The article title is "Let Them Wear Silk: Decadence Before The Fall".

There's a couple of photos, too.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:43 AM

This URL prompts signing up with NY Times, not the fashion exhibit. I thought I may get some info if it will be somewhere in my area. Oh, well...
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Singletail

Sounds fascinating but you and I both know you can never have "too much time" or "too much money" and I guess, "too many Levis"?????

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, Faina! Like I said, my computer skills are nearly non-existent.

You've probably already figured this out on your own, but if you type "New York Times" into the search bar, the website will come up.

My apologies to anyone else I may have misdirected.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:01 AM

I think you have to register (free) at the NYTimes website to view it. Probably the Met website has info also metmuseum.org.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM

New York times registration is free..
and while we're on the subject of fashion. When I was in Paris in November, the first museum I was headed to was the Musee de Mode et Textile, just for that reason. I had read that it was filled with fashion and accessories through the ages. Where else, I thought, should, would and could a better display of coutoure thru the ages be shown? When I went, it was dedicated to AirFrance...LOL...
Now, of course, they are doing an Elsa Schiaparelli show.. of course... NOW!
I cannot imagine why there isn't a museum of "fashion" in Paris...they need to put something in the Orangerie don't they? Certain some of the older families have trunks...surely some of Paris' Grande Dames have their old Chanels, Ballenciagas, YSLaurents, etc..? Little brass plaques could go up... "contributed by Madame DeLaWhatsis"...
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:32 PM

heh heh--we had the Schiaparelli show just down the street from us before it went to Paris (I refuse to mention the name of the city I live in because it will bring out the Mean Girls--and guys).

Croque M., I'd love to see that show! The museum where I work has a costume/fashion show on its calendar but not until 2006 (or maybe even 2007), so maybe a trip to NYC is in order.

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:43 PM
cmt

If you don't want to register with the New York Times, you can log in under the user ID "groupaddress" (or if that doesn't work, try "group_address" because I may be remembering it wrong) and the password "easytoremember"--all without the quotation marks. I made that up for some elderly ladies who get nervous on the Internet byt who want to read some article they'd missed last year.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Elle, I'd love to see the exhibit, too! Actually, here's the way I'd REALLY like to see it:

With all the mannequins erotically arranged just as at the museum, but brought to life and placed inside Louis XIV's Versailles.

Somehow rendered invisible, I'd like to wander at midnight, beneath chandeliers glowing with thousands of candles, as I spy on conspirators whispering together in sumptuous rooms, and stroll unseen among the preening crowd jostling for position in the dazzling Hall of Mirrors.

OK, so maybe I want to have been there as it all was then, alive with sounds and scents, schemes and sighs. Just for one night of sensory overload...
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Oh, how very Liaisons Dangereuses!