Burlesque in Manhattan/ NYC

Nov 7th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Burlesque in Manhattan/ NYC

My wife and I will by in Manhattan Dec 26-Jan 1 and I think we'd really like to catch a good burlesque show. NOT a strip club but something more fun than that. Can anyone recommend something?
Nov 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Have never heard of this in Manhattan (ata leasat there seemed to ber such a thing in the 1930's) - but you can find almost anything in NYC - so perhaps there is someplace. Suggest you have a look at Time Out New York - or google and see what turns up.

Not sure how such a show would be fun for your wife - unless it was equal opportunity disrobing.
Nov 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM

Timeout has a section on what it calls Burlesque and Variety in every issue - here's the online link

http://newyork.timeout.com/search/ev...ULT&section=20
Nov 8th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll take a look at these links.
The Burlesque thing is fun for everyone. It's risque, but it's not a strip club sex thing. My wife likes fun stuff and this type of thing is fun. We'll try to attend if we can find something in the time frame when we will be in NYC. Thanks everyone.
Nov 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM

I have to say I was surprised to learn that there are presentations nowadays that go by the name of -- burlesque. Of course, in days gone by these were the girlie strip type shows - stars like Gypsy Rose Lee catering to a male crowd. This all gave way to the current day "gentlemen's clubs" - expensive sleeze. But I suspect that what is labeled "burlesque" nowadays is more like a take off on the bulesque of yesteryear - and that is the true meaning of the word - burlesque. BTW - some of the great comics came out of burlesque - the comedy clubs of that era.
Nov 12th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

@jroth: That's exactly it. It's sexy stripping type stuff but not sleezy and it's funny and classy and isn't aimed purely at men looking to ogle naked girls. It's fun!
Nov 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM

DrToonz, I would love to see a post after you go to the show. I am going to NYC in April and have been thinking about catching a burlesque show...also, let me know how your wife likes it!