Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

17 days / 18 nights in Greece Aug 19-Sep 7, itinerary with infant!

Old Jul 31st, 2021, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, this is our first international trip with our 11 month old - we have done a 6 hour flight from Vancouver - Montreal and he did great! Me and my wife are experienced travellers but this is all new to us with a baby. Usually we would be moving around every 2-3 nights - however we want to slow it down this time - please let me know how our Itinerary looks, any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Aug 20 - Arrival 9pm *overnight near airport* (ideally would love to just continue to Crete but we just get in a little too late)
Aug 21 - Fly to Crete *overnight Crete* (thinking start in Chania?)
Aug 22 - Crete *overnight Crete* (not sure how to split our time yet....Chania and Heraklion and maybe 1 more?)
Aug 23 - Crete *overnight Crete*
Aug 24 - Crete *overnight Crete*
Aug 25 - Crete *overnight Crete*
Aug 26 - Crete *overnight Crete*
Aug 27 - Crete *overnight Crete*
Aug 28 - Crete *overnight Crete* (last night in Heraklion to take the ferry next day to Santorini)
Aug 29 - Ferry to Santorini *overnight Santorini*
Aug 30 - Santorini *overnight Santorini*
Aug 31 - Santorini *overnight Santorini*
Sep 1 - Ferry to Naxos *overnight Naxos*
Sep 2 - Naxos *overnight Naxos*
Sep 3 - Naxos *overnight Naxos*
Sep 4 - Naxos *overnight Naxos*
Sep 5 - Athens *overnight Athens*
Sep 6 - Athens *overnight Athens*
Sep 7 - Fly out 1pm from ATH

- 8 nights Crete
- 3 nights Santorini
- 4 nights Naxos
- 2 nights Athens

Will rent a car on Crete
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your trip sounds great. I can't comment on travelling with a baby but having a slower trip will be more relaxing for everyone. I'd stick with staying in two places on Crete. We really enjoyed Chania, stayed at Pandora Suites which is right in the middle of the port area with sea views. Loads of places to eat close by. The people there were so good to us, allowing us to stay on much later when the departure time for our ferry to Athens was delayed by hours. The ferry was overnight, we had a basic cabin with beds and a bathroom. Depending on departure times, you could catch the overnight ferry to Crete once you arrive in Athens. We've done it both ways.

Once we arrived in Athens, stayed one night, then travelled to one of the islands the next day. Another trip we flew into Athens, had a couple of hours at the airport (more than we needed but you never know about delays) then flew out the same day to an island. The second way was a million times better. But I realise it depends a lot on ferry and flight times.

Also August will be seriously hot in Greece, be prepared. It's a very busy month so don't delay booking your accommodation.
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 07:07 AM

Forget the ferry, it leaves too early. But if you fly via Munich, it should be possible to check in your luggage directly to Chania (ar 23.35).
Old Aug 1st, 2021, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Im flying with Lufthansa via Munich, how would i check in my luggage directly to Chania all the way from Vancouver?

*EDIT*

actually it looks like i might be able to add the 22:45 to my current booked flight, I will give them a call! Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited by aleks77; Aug 1st, 2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2021, 07:58 AM

Air Canada, Lufthansa, Aegean are all members of Star Alliance. Direct tickets and through luggage transport should therefore be possible. Air Canada offers that for Vancouver - Munich - Athens and Lufthansa offers the same for Munich - Athens - Chania.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 10:06 PM

aleks77 -

Hania (Chania) in Crete is under lockdown right now due to Covid. You may wish to check out ekathimerini.com, the Greek newspaper available in English for Covid updates.
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 11:42 PM

Aleks77, don’t be too worried about the “lockdown” in Chania. It is only between the hours of 01:00 and 06:00, and ends on August 13th, long before you arrive. There is a small chance the lockdown could be extended, but I doubt with an 11 month old baby you will be be out and about after 1 AM.
https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/20...-restrictions/
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates, i did see there is a lockdown but yes the hours dont bother us at all!

I have everything booked, including a car in Crete which wasnt easy with less than 2 weeks to go! Im still trying to figure out where to spend our time in Crete, we got 6 nights in Chania and then we have 3 nights open - I was thinking the logical place would be Heraklion? But its not as nice to walk around like say Rethymn - and we dont want to split the 3 nights up. Any suggestions are welcome!
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 11:20 AM

You still plan to spend the last night in Heraklion for the ferry to Santorini? Rethymno sounds like a good choice, but wouldn’t that mean splitting the 3 nights up?
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

I thought about staying 3 nights in Rethymno - and drive from there to the 9am ferry in Heraklion?
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 08:30 PM

Rthymon is a good choice if you are early risers & well-organized -- it's only about 80KM (50 mi), but it would be rush-hour in Heraklion and driving in the city is crazy-making, lots of one-ways, so confusing... also have solid arrangements with your rental agency that you can drop the car right at the dock next to the ferry ... they do it all the time, but u will need time, to be sure you get the papework done affirming no damage ... you'll also want to book your tickets in advance & have them in hand ... don't want to do anything but leave car & walk onto ferry.
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

We are able to drop off our car at 8:00 at the earliest at the port, and we have tickets for 9:00 ferry - will this be enough time?