14-Day Itinerary Italy/Sicily

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying into Rome late October with the main objective to visit grandparents birthplace in Sicily. Also want to see as much of Italy as is practical without racing around. Want to drive Amalfi Coast. Planning on having a car, but not for the whole time--particularly not in Rome. Would like to see Florence too. Need help with a reasonable itinerary. Appreciate any suggestions which include info on Hotels, mode of transport, etc.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM

lemonlolly,
Try searching trip reports Sicily.
My trip report might help http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34811101

Here is another one that is useful http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34620334

Henry
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM

I will be in sicily March 16 through April 5 - suggestions? I will use public transporation:bus maybe train.
thank you all
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:30 PM

You might want to read my trip report on Sicily; just click on my name to find it. 14 days is not much for Sicily and the rest of Italy. You might want to spend most of the time in Sicily and the rest in Rome or Naples.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nats, in addition to Michael's excellent report and the other information here, please take a look at the Sicily forum on tripadvisor where you can get very specific and detailed information on public transportation options in Sicily.

We are leaving for our first trip in a few weeks but will be renting a car.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:42 PM

I think Rome, Florence, Amalfi Coast, and Sicily is very ambitious in 14 days. Are you only going to Sicily to see the one town?

Depending on where you go in Sicily I would suggest public transportation for everything as you cannot drive within the historic district of Florence and would not want to drive in Rome.

The Amalfi Coast can be easily seen by bus and will be less stressful than driving and the buses have priority right of way on the coast road which means if you are driving you have to give way to the buses and perhaps back up to allow them to make the turns. Also the driver will not be able to look at the view as (s)he will need to focus on the road.

Reasonable itineraries:
- 2 to 3 weeks in Sicily OR
- 3 days Florence, 5 days Rome, 2 days to see the Amalfi Coast (you didn't specify seeing any towns, just the coast drive) and the remainder somewhere in Sicily.

Within the 14 days you have to allow for transportation time (about 2 days), getting to and from train stations to hotels, packing and unpacking: 1.5 hours train from Florence to Rome, Rome to Sorrento (?) 2.5 to 3 hours, back to Naples for a flight to Palermo or Catania, taxi/bus to hotel and then getting to wherever your grandparents are from.

It's difficult to give hotel recommendation as you haven't stated your budget.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM

The OP's trip was in 2007.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 08:02 PM

Thanks for catching that. I'm sorry I wasted my time with a response.

nats1mom - please do not top 3 year old threads to ask a question. Post a new thread.