13yr old in Dutch bar?

May 11th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

13yr old in Dutch bar?

Would a 13 year old be allowed into a brown cafe? Putting American values on alcohol aside, I know the Dutch are quite open-minded and expose their children to alcohol early in small quantities. I am not intending to buy her a beer, it is the experience that I want her to savor and what could be more Dutch than a brown cafe? Will this be permissible?
May 11th, 2007, 06:26 AM

TTT
May 11th, 2007, 07:00 AM

My guess is, during the daytime, if food is served, yes. Evening time when no food is served, no. This is what I saw in Munich, anyway.
May 11th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Huny, I think it depends on whether the brown cafe in question serves food, and if there is an outside area-most brown cafes in Amsterdam do serve bar food, and if there is an outside area, I believe there would be no problem.

I am not sure however, whether a 13 year old would be allowed in a brown cafe that did not have an outdoor area or did not serve food. I believe in the UK a minor has to be 14 years old before being allowed into a pub, but obviously the Netherlands may be more relaxed about such matters. You'll just have to ask.
May 11th, 2007, 07:04 AM

beer drinking age in Holland is 16 and rarely enforced in my experience - i just can't fathom this would be a problem at all in Holland. These places however are so smoke-filled i would not subject a child to that personally save for a quick quick look.
May 11th, 2007, 07:06 AM

My friend lives in the Hague. The locals brought their children into the local bar all the time.
May 21st, 2007, 06:37 AM

Most regular (brwon) cafes will allow minors. Almost all disco's, nightclubs and some cafes (mostly cafes where you can also dance after a certain time) have an age-restriction of 16, 18 or 21. But by my knwoing, there is no law to forbid a minor from going in to a cafe and it doesn't matter if there is food served, an outside terrace or such.
May 21st, 2007, 06:47 AM

I would totally amazed if there weren't allowed in but again would not subject my children to all that smoke.