Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Questions about the beer tents at Oktoberfest!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question -- are the beer tents the only place to get beer and food on the Oktoberfest grounds, or are there also outside vendors? We're planning to make a few tent reservations but don't want to plan for every meal ahead of time. Any info is much appreciated -- favorite beer tents, too! ~gt;
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Anyone? Anyone?
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM

You'd go to an ordinary restaurant /bar next to the Oktoberfest and pay far less. The AUGUSTINER BRÄUSTUBEN,Landsberger Straße 19, 80339 München, is only a few steps from the grounds, void of tourists and rather inexpensive. It's funny, no tourist finds it
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks logos! I printed out the restaurants's website and will take it with me.

Are there also vendors (like food carts) on the grounds but outside the tents?
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:48 PM

>also vendors (like food carts)
Fish, chicken, ice cream, gingerbread, sausages, fries, you name it... but very expensive
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Hi: I have been to Octoberfest on several occasions. There are plenty of outside vendors, food and oompa bands. You can also enter the tents without reservations but you may not get a seat. Each tent has a little different atmosphere. It gets pretty warm in the tents and a little smoke-filled esp after dancing on the tables. It is great fun! Hope you enjoy! Johanna
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 01:40 PM

There are tons of outside vendors...it truly resembles an American carnival/fair.

You really don't need tent reservations either, unless you're trying to go at night. As for favorite tents, I'd tell you, but I can't remember the names of any of them. Hmmmm... wonder why that is?!?!?
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:43 PM

I've been to Oktoberfest a few times. I enjoy the Paulaner tent and the Hofbrau tent. Yes it definitely resembles an American type carnival- just not as many kiddies running around

Each time we went, we made a concerted effort to get into a tent by noon. After that, there's a good chance you might not get in one, until others come out. Also, keep in mind that if the tent you happen to be in is full, it might not be a good idea to leave the tent in search of food because you might not be able to go right back in (unless you want to use that opportunity to go to another tent after your meal on the outside).

Have fun!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Companies and the companies' vendors reserve at night. I was 'adopted' by Siemins one night.

Don't go on weekends, too many drunken U.S. soldiers. Each tent has it's own personality and size; however one can only do the Chicken Dance song so many times.

If you like the carnival side, the bumper cars are much faster than the ones in the U.S. Probably spent too many hours there playing Kamikaze.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 05:15 PM

We visited the Fest for the 3rd time this past fall. If you want to spend an entire evening inside a tent, then reservations are needed. But you can get a seat in any tent earlier in the day and/or eat in the outdoor areas provided by every tent. As above, many other vendors along the walkways. Many drunks (not just US soldiers) at night. Enjoy the beer.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Rastaguytoday, I take offense to the "drunken U.S. soldiers" comment. Drunken U.S. sailors, maybe, but Munich is landlocked.

Were they at the Octoberfest in uniform? I seriously doubt it. Maybe they were just "drunken U.S. citizens"?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Oh, I believe the drunken US soldiers comment My husband was in the Army, stationed in Germany, and I think all they did was drink their way around the country when they were there - LOL.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:40 PM

J_Correa, yeah, I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt, but with the U.S. downsizing in Germany, especially Munich, zilch to none, I doubt any U.S. Military dent could hardly be noticed at the Octoberfest. 20-30 years ago, maybe.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Budman - when I first read your post, I thought "no way are we old enough to be in that 20-30 years ago range" but then I did the math and oops, we just made it. It WAS 20 years ago that my husband went in And actually when he was leaving (stationed in Ansbach), they were in the process of dismantling their post to give back to the Germans. It is not a university for applied sciences, which we thought was great.