13 nights in Greece October 2018 suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2018, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunday, September 30: Arrive at Athens International Airport 9:15am. Airplane to Heraklion, Crete. Possibly the flight that leaves 1:15pm, arrives 2:05 pm, offered by Olympic, Operated by Aegean. Find hotel room/hostel/ other logging place in Crete. If awake enough, archaeological museum (8am-8pm daily Apr –Oct). And/or walk past various landmarks or monuments. If time/if open, Castello del Molo (Koules), Koules Fort, and/or Loggia. 2nd night: sleep in Heraklion

Monday: Historical museum of Crete (Mon-Sat Apr-Oct, 9-5pm). Archaeological museum if not seen yet. If time, walk past other landmarks and/or go inside one or more of the 3 sites above. 3rd night: sleep in Heraklion

Tuesday: Knossos site. Historical museum of Crete if not seen yet. If time, walk past other landmarks, go inside old buildings open to visitors, and so on. 4th night: sleep in Heraklion

Wednesday: Airplane to Athens. Bus to Nafpion. National Gallery? (closes at 15:00, also open 17:00-20:00 Wednesday & Friday?) and/or walk through Nafplion. 5th night: sleep in Nafplion

Thursday: Archaeological museum. (open 8:00-15:00). Walk past various sites and/or Palamidi fortress. 6th night: sleep in Nafplion

Friday: Bus day trip to Mycenae.

7th night: sleep in Nafplion

Saturday: Bus to Athens. (about 2 hours 10 minutes + time to wait for the bus). Benaki museum of Greek history. (Thu. & Sat. 9:00-24:00). If time, Benaki Islamic, or other museum. 8th night: sleep in Athens

Sunday: Bus to Delphi. 3 hours 20 minutes.

9th night: sleep in the Town of Delphi

Monday: Bus back to Athens (3 hours 20 minutes + time to wait for the bus). National Archaeological museum (open until 20:00). If time, Syntagma guard changing spectacle (5 min before each hour). If time, buy ticket to Acropolis and/or walk past various landmarks or monuments. 10th night: sleep in Athens

Tuesday: “Free” walking tour of Athens. Self-guided tours of Acropolis area, Agora, other popular and unpopular old Greek and Roman remains, as time allows (Roman forum, Kerameikos, Temple of Olympian Zeus, and so on) 11th night: sleep in Athens

Wednesday: Jewish museum (open 9:00-14:30). Museum of Greek popular instruments (open Wed. 12:00-18:00). The rest of the old Greek/Roman remains if haven’t seen yet. If time, Benaki Islamic art or walk past other monuments, and so on. 12th night: sleep in Athens

Thursday: Museum of the City of Athens (9:00-16:00). The rest of the old Greek/Roman structures if haven’t seen yet. If time, Panathenaic Stadium (restored marble stadium, 8:00-19:00), Temple of Olympian Zeus. 13th night: sleep in Athens

Friday??

14th night

Saturday, October 13: fly back to Michigan.

Right now I have 6 nights in Athens but I am thinking of subtracting a night from Athens and adding a night to Nafplion or adding a night to Crete. What do you suggest? What else could I do in the Heraklion or Nafplion (or Athens) area?
Old May 3rd, 2018, 06:44 PM

While in Nafplion, I would not miss a visit to Epidavros to see the incredible amphitheater there. Perhaps you can find a one-day bus tour that covers both Mycenae and Epidavros.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying. I thought the main attraction at Epidauros is just an amphitheater. I thought an amphitheater is just an amphitheater, so I had thought I would skip it. Maybe I am wrong. Earlier today I was thinking of adding a night to Crete and going to either Festos or Malia, although I don't know enough to be able to justify either site yet.

Last edited by michaelpianko; May 3rd, 2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: forgot to thank poster.