11 pm Curfew in Rome too early?

Sep 10th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

11 pm Curfew in Rome too early?

Greetings. We will be staying in Rome next spring at Fraterna Domus and as I have read more in preparation for our trip am wondering if their 11 pm curfew will hamper our our evenings out. I know this in part is something only I can answer based on our travel style, but also understand that dinners, evenings out etc. tend to start later in Italy. While we won't necessarily want to go out to clubs, we do like to wander in the evening after dinner and see the sights at night. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help. Wanderfar....
Sep 10th, 2003, 08:19 AM
ira

Hi,

You will get many views on this subject; mine is - by 11:00 I am ready for bed.

Of course, I am somewhat beyond my halcyon days.
Sep 10th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Personally, my curfew days have been over since I was 18. I would never as an adult stay somewhere that had a curfew regardless of the price. But that's your decision.
Sep 10th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Intrepid

I have to agree with imposing as few restrictions as possible on yourself. I am certain there is a very good reason you have decided to stay at this establishment. Either tell yourself right now that the curfew is acceptable and be done with it, OR if there is any question in your mind whatsoever, stay at another hotel.
Obviously there are people, such as Ira, who wouldn't have any trouble with the curfew issue but you ARE which is evident in your posting the question. I advise you to make alternative reservations.

Sep 10th, 2003, 08:45 AM

I agree that you might want to change your reservations to some place else. You want to relax and take your time at dinner, not be constantly checking your watch. What if you want to linger over an extra drink? Stroll around? Pop out for some take-away in the middle of the night? This is your vacation and you should be free to do what you want in the evenings. I'm no party animal but I would never stay at a place that had a curfew.
Sep 10th, 2003, 08:47 AM

It stays lighter later in Rome in the evening than it does in New York. Because of that we stay out longer walking and doing things. Like Ira, we're done in before 11 pm and it wouldn't bother me. The only thing is....if for some reason I couldn't sleep and I wanted to walk around to see the lights of the city, or whatever, I would want the choice. I personally wouldn't want the restrictions......just my view.
Sep 10th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. I typically would not want the restrictions of a curfew, but on the flip side, we are paying 78 Euro for 2 people with breakfast, staying very near Piazza Navona with the added bonus of being able to pay by credit card. Most hotels in the city center didn't come close to that rate. Aside from bars/clubs, what time do shops, restaurants start closing in the evening? Thanks again for your helpful comments and replies. wanderfar
Sep 10th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Some restaurants start serving dinner at 8:00pm and most diners start dinner at 9:00 or 9:30. So... If you don't mind being the first ones at a restaurant and limit your dinner to 2 hours or less (do-able), go for it. What a great price and location!
Sep 10th, 2003, 10:30 AM
jor

I don't know if I have been living on Mars lately but I have never stayed at a hotel that had an 11 pm curfew. I don't remember any curfews at all accept for youth hostels many years ago. Have I missed something? Is this curfew thing common?
Sep 10th, 2003, 10:54 AM
KT

Jor, curfews are quite common at the guest houses of convents, monasteries, or other religioius residences, like the Fraterna Domus.

Sep 10th, 2003, 11:07 AM

We really enjoyed staying at Fraterna Domus and did not find the curfew to be a problem. It is in a great location.There are lots of good restaurants near the Pantheon, about eight minutes from Fraterna Domus. We would begin dinner between 7 and 9, depending whether we were going to a concert or just wandering around Piazza Navona. We didn't feel rushed and had plenty of time for seeing all the Christmas lighted streets in the area. We were there in December. We found it an advantage to not stay out too late because we could then get to St. Peter's or the Vatican early in the morning before it got too crowded.
Sep 10th, 2003, 11:11 AM

I stayed in a nunnery once (I was going to school, kind of had to) that had a midnight curfew and that wasn't too bad, but I had to stay there as I was a student. I would never book a hotel on a vacation with a stringent curfew that might limit my behavior in any way. I wouldn't even consider it, regardless of savings, as it wouldn't be worth it to me to save a few dollars. However, I wouldn't want to stay in such a place, anyway, I'll admit (I've had enough of that in my childhood). If you really never want to stay out past 11, I can see thinking it might not matter, and maybe it won't. I don't ever pop out in the middle of the night to wander streets when on vacation; if I can't sleep, I read or watch TV.

Most places that do that do it because they want to lock the door and don't want to have anyone having to work at night to man the door, not because of wanting to regulate behavior. At least that was the case at the Catholic school I stayed at, as an adult. They just locked you out and you couldn't get in until 8 pm which I thought was an odd way to regulate behavior as it meant that some of the girls who got locked out would go stay overnight with boyfriends or just be out in the streets which wasn't so safe.

I remember them locking out some Spanish girls on Bastille night (they didn't even change hours for that!) who were only about 17-18 years old. If I'd been their parents, I might have gotten a little upset, thinking the nuns might be taking better care of my daughters.
Sep 10th, 2003, 11:16 AM
jor

thanks KT. I didn't know.
Sep 10th, 2003, 11:22 AM

Exactly. I would not stay some place with a curfew of any time just in case I do want to wander.
Sep 10th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Just to jump in here, we stayed last summer at a convent in Rome that had a 11 PM curfew, and I have to tell you that I was in bed and sound asleep by 10:30 at the latest. We generally ate around 7 or 730PM, walked for a while and squeezed in one last gelato around 10PM. Since there is a wide range of ages and lifestyles represented here, I would only suggest that you consider your nightime activities on other vacations. Were you in by 11PM in other locations, or were you just warming up at Senor Frogs? Good question, but only you can really answer it.
Sep 10th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Rome dosen't come alive until after 11.
Sep 10th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Yeah, barron, and that's what all my assistants tell me. They're all under 25.

Before my first marriage to a wealthy guy who turned gay, I stayed at a wonderful clergy residence near the Trevi for $20 a night. They had a curfew, too. 78 Euro is a steel and, if you're on a budget, you can't do much better. Solution: get up very early and enjoy watching the Romans go to work. I have many photographs of the Roman cleaning crew pulling coins from the Trevi every morning, 7 am.

i migliori auguri!
Sep 10th, 2003, 02:59 PM

Unless you are quite young and loves to party, the 11 PM curfew is not that bad.. After being out all day long , up and down the numerous steps,walking and climbing the hills of Rome, believe me by then you will be ready to retire to your room. Many Roman restaurants serve dinner around 7, also there are numerous Tavola Calda, Pizzeria and small Grills type bar coffee.
You know your budget and how much you want or can afford to spend each day, so if the place is nice go ahead.
Buon Viaggio and Enjoy Rome,
kismet
Sep 10th, 2003, 03:33 PM

PS: by the way I was in Rome this past June with my daughter and grandson, after dinner we went to our favourite or I should say my little grandson favourite's place Piazza di Spagna.. By 11 pm we were in our room, and by the time we had our evening toiletry we were in bed past midnight, tired but happy after spending a glorious day sightseeing.
Sep 11th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Hi
for 25-20 more euro per night, you can find a place to stay in a good location and not have the curfew. (are you sure it's not a situation where they lock up but provide you with your own key?)

I'm not a night owl later, but I wouldn't want to worry about lingering over a caffe or limoncello after dinner, even if it's only once, because my hotel was going to lock me out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO