10days in germany

Search

10days in germany

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10days in germany

We are planning to fly into Frankfurt where are son will pick us up, staying somewhere near the Ramstein AirBase, then planning to go by train to Munich stay 2days then to Prague 2 days, 1 day in Berlin and back to Ramstein by train. Then maybe a drive thru the Rhein Valley Area or a day trip here and there. Does this sound like to much to pack in one trip
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM

For me, the Munich/Prague/Berlin part of your trip would be too much ground to cover in the amount of time you're planning. If you want to see all 3, I'd give it a couple more days at least.

There are definitely lots of great daytrips to take, though. We live here at Ramstein (actually a small village nearby), and some of our favorite day trips have been to Burg Eltz, Cochem, Burg Rheinfels, and Trier. Heidelberg is also very close, and an easy train ride from the Kaiserslautern area.

Also, since your son is stationed here, does he have a car? You might want to consider driving rather than taking the train.

I hope you love "our" corner of Germany as much as we do! Have a great trip!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM
ira

Hi mom,

Every time you change locations, you lose about 1/2 day.

For your Ramstein/Ramstein loop you will spend about 18 hr on trains (plus some time in train stations).

Check schedules at www.bahn.de.

>Does this sound like to much to pack in one trip?<

Yup.

Would you like to see Germany?

Do you want to go to Prague?

Would you be averse to renting a car?

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Most of your time will be on a train. I would cut it way down and enjoy Germany. Heidelberg and Rothenburg are great to visit and very close to Frankfurt area. Munich is great and close to the Bavarian Alps...either side trips to Salzburg/Berchtesgaden or over to Garmisch. Just cut down all the sites and actually enjoy them when you visit instead of waiting for tne next train ride.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

I kind of thought this might be a bit to much in one trip, we do want to go to Prague, could forget Berlin, could we take a night train from Prague to Ramstein, so as not to lose so much time. Yes our son does have a car, would be a bit crowded, have 6 traveling. Mindy do you have a suggestions on hotels by the Ramstein base. Thanks all for your help
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Hi, usafmom.

What time of the year are you going?

I'm not certain why you particularly picked Munich, Prague, and Berlin except that they are big, famous cities--certainly all worth visiting, but there are places a lot closer to Ramstein that are just as much fun and of just as much interest as these 3.

Whether or not they (especially Berlin and Prague--Munich isn't too bad a trip) are worth spending the required travel time on partly depends on when you're going to Germany.

Though with only 10 days, I'd recommend not going that far afield, especially with all the great places to visit that don't take so long to reach. To name a few, large and small: Strasbourg, Mainz, Trier/Mosel River towns, Rhein River Gorge, Wuerzburg, Bamberg, Schwaebisch Hall, Nuernberg, Bad Wimpfen, Dinkelsbuehl, Nordlingen, the Black Forest, Heidelberg, ... .

Of course, it could be just one of those things where someone in your party has always had their heart set on visiting Berlin and Prague--if that's the case, then go for it, but if so I'd then recommend that you spend at least 8 of your 10 days in those 3 cities. Otherwise you might end up being more familiar with trains, train stations, and hotel lobbies than with the cities you're visiting.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 11:38 PM

Hi usafmom,

I'd suggest that you stay in either Ramstein village or Landstuhl. Both are nice towns with some good restaurant choices and shopping. Both also have train stations, which I would suggest that you use, rather than driving downtown to the big train station in Kaiserslautern. Parking near the train station down there is a nightmare.

With that in mind, here are a couple of links that I found to hotels in those areas. Let me preface this, though, by saying that I haven't actually stayed in these places since I live here. But here are some links that you may want to check out.

Ramstein

http://www.hotelcircleinn.de

This looks nice and well kept up from the outside. It is just a minute or two outside the gate.

http://www.hotel-europa-ramstein.com/index.html
This one is also just a couple of minutes outside the gate.

http://www.hotel-rosenhof.de

Here's a couple in Landstuhl.

http://www.gruene-laterne.de/index.html

http://www.city-appt-hotel.de

Sorry I can't give you more first hand experience.

Good luck!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 11:51 PM

Also, definitely go to Rothenburg, but stay overnight so that that you can do the Night Watchman tour. Whenever our families visit, that's where we take them, and everyone loves it.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:15 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

Following up on RFT's suggestion, you are about 2 hr from Strasbourg and the Alsace region of France and the Black Forest region of Germany.

That would make a lovely and relaxing visit.

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM

The backtracking really kills ya...check the fare for flying into Prague and then leaving for home from Frankfurt. You could have 3 nights in Prague, 2 in Munich, and 4 or 5 near your son/daytrips. You might find low fare Prague to Munich at www5.condor.com
Munich airport is easy...subway train or Lufthansa bus into the city. I can recommend Hotel Condor an easy walk from the train station, or Hotel Uhland.

The train from Munich to Berlin is nice because you can stop in beautiful Dresden, put your bags in a locker and walk around the city center or old town for lunch/break.

But I think you might have to skip Berlin, with just one day for Berlin you'll do nothing but get confused by the transport system, get your bearings and then have to leave.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to thank everyone for there suggestions, we finally have our flight booked and will keep all your advice in mind. We leave July 28th, really excited. Will let you know how it all went. Thanks again