100 best things in Scandanavia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 01:27 AM
Billy

100 best things in Scandanavia

How about a list of the 100 best things in Scandanavia .... Trolls ?<BR><BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:20 AM
EP

Yep, trolls definitely are among the best things. But remeber that they don´t live in Denmark. <BR><BR>I believe not so many people here have travelled in Scandinavia (except the capitals and Norwegian fjords). They just don´t know enough to answer. Perhaps they could come up with 10 best things...

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:26 AM
jade

How about eating smoked salmon and rice at a stall in Helsinki's market square?<BR><BR>Staying overnight at the Stalheim Hotel in Norway (along the Norway in a Nutshell trip). <BR><BR>In Oslo, the Viking ship museum and Kon Tiki museum.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Elsa

The beauty of Stockholm - both natural and man made.<BR><BR>Norway in a nutshell and the magnicient fjords.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Edmond O`Flaherty

Stockholm is well worth visiting.It is a fine city with beautiful buildings and a long history.One of the things that really impressed me there was the Vasa Museum where a 400-year old ship of that name was taken from the sea and put in a specially designed building.I am not normally a sea-food eater but it was excellent in Stockholm.I liked the fact that English is spoken by everybody and the people are very helpful with tourist information.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:12 AM
maiden

I sort of enjoyed the pillaging.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Bjorn

100 best? I guess there will be thousands to make it just.<BR>Hence let us boil down to a few:<BR><BR>Denmark: Copenhagen. Tivoli, The Glyptotek museum and Gitte Kik's Lunch Bar, also the harbor Nyhavn.<BR><BR>Sweden: Stockholm?<BR><BR>Norway: Naturewise Northern Norway (Bod&oslash;-Lofoten) But that is disappointingly far. Nutshell: Yes, it is a fair way to get an impression.<BR>Bergen: Nice, nice, but rainy, rainy.<BR>Gudbrand's Valley: YES. Turn left at Otta to pass Lom and the Sognefjell mountains to get to the "Nutshell", or continue to Domb&aring;a and down the Romsdal Valley to &Aring;ndalsnes and then south over the Trollstigen hairpins to Geiranger.<BR>Or just stay in Oslo and enjoy life, wethwetr bathing or skiing.<BR>Anyone ready for the top 100s of Oslo?<BR><BR>Bjorn, Oslo<BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:22 PM
kalena

Prisine forests and lakes in the summer, berry picking, summer picnics, saunas, the Gallen-Kalala museum....summer music festivals, and polka.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:25 PM
kalena

aargh! it's "pristine" that I meant. Although "priscine" is evocative of something, don't know excactly what. <BR><BR>Also a capella choirs and those little wooden trolls.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:26 PM
kalena

aargh! it's "pristine" that I meant. Although "priscine" is evocative of something, don't know exactly what. <BR><BR>Also a capella choirs and those little wooden trolls.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 03:22 AM
elina

I see Kalena has been to Finland ;o)<BR><BR>I agree. Best in Finland (although not actually Scandinavia) are pristine forests, thousands and thousands of lakes with even drinkable water, sauna, berry and mushroom picking, sailing in the archipelago, cooking fish in an open fire, outdoors by sea or lake. And skiing in early March, when sun shines brightly and snow`s surface is so hard that you feel you are flying.<BR><BR>Peace and quiet.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Frances

Elina my list must include makkara!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 09:05 AM
elina

Frances, you are right about makkara, grilled in a bonfire or fireplace :0)<BR>But I am trying to lose a couple of kilos, so let´s not talk about makkara.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Danna

Dancing in the nature park (can't remember the name) on Bornhom. Bornholm is a fabulous place. Have a great time!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 05:54 PM
donna

Biking on the island of Gotland.

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:54 AM
adoptionisfab

Any other suggestions?

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many things, but in Gothenburg, the boat ride to Elfsberg Faestning and the tour afterwards is excellent.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:50 AM

How about the ten best foods in Scandinavia - leaving this week Scandinavia and St Pete
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Here's an excerpt of my trip to Copenhagen with a side trip to Drager
Connie and I were trying to come up with an apt discription of Copenhagen. We thought it isn't as beautiful or romantic as Paris, it doesn't have the hustle and bustle of New York City, or the dignity of London, and the only word we can think to fit this lovely city is pretty. And that, by no means, does it justice. Visually, it's a marvel, old buildings dating back centuries, juxtaposed with modern archetictual ones which are not jarring and fit the general mix of the city.

It's exciting without being bizarre and it doesn't reek with the palatable tension of Manhattan. It's quiet, in the two weeks we've been here, we've not heard one siren or any people yelling in the streets.There's plenty to see here but it also serves as a base to see other places, out of the way places.

We took a day trip out to Drag&oslash;r which is about thirty by a very convenient and frequent bus ride. Drag&oslash;r is an old Amager Dutch village, a small old fishing village. I noticed that the houses outside of Copenhagen have a sameness about them. They are all basic boxes with a pointed roof or a basic &quot;A&quot; frame house, red, orange-red roofs (rooves?) different painted facades which add color, many of the window frames are a bright blue and or white. The more costly ones are the same basic home, only larger and small boxes tacked on to it to break up the sameness.

Most of them or all of them had chimneys, and carefully fenced in with a car in front, and often a garden and again a vegetable patch.

Drag&oslash;r is find. There is no longer commercial fishing there but it is a vacation place for the Danes from all over the country. There is no beach to speak of, and you cannot walk directly to the water. The approach is blocked by a small bank topped by heavy stones.

The vacation homes are the biggest I have seen, although they followed the pattern I described, there were often many additions added.
The homes were about three or four hundred feet back from approach to the beach, and these homes had large fences or bushes protecting. Some marked with signs saying they were alarmed.

However, each and every house, had an octagonal cupola. They had large windows and could sit six with some squeezing but were made to sit four people, usually a small table in the middle. It was the place guests were entertained, intimate and it seemed to me inadequate by Long Island standards.

The grass was always trim, some had playthings, but no pools and the time we were there we saw about one or two families in the thirty plus homes.

They came here to take out there boats, and the old fishing piers were lined with boats of all sizes and an occasional yacht. They probably eat at home since there were few restaurants and the one we had lunch in was excellent, simple plain food and served with a great deal of attention.

I recommend making a side trip to Drager especially in the summertime