10 days in Spain - Where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting Spain for 10 days. Arriving in Madrid and leaving from Barcelona. <BR><BR>What towns/cities/sites are a MUST or DO-NOT-MISS given the limitee time (10 days)?<BR>Can't make up our minds how to spend our time there. Need help from the experts!<BR><BR>Maribel, where are you?<BR><BR>Jeannette<BR>Austin, TX, USA
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 05:14 PM

I had a wonderful time in Melilla, a Spanish city in North Africa. Airfares are subsidized by the Spanish government to encourage development. Most flights are from Malaga but there are non-stop flights from Madrid.<BR><BR>Warning: some think Melilla is boring.<BR><BR>Some people go to Andorra to say they have been to another country. I think Andorra is only worthwhile to buy liquor and cigarettes.<BR><BR>I had an enjoyable trip to Gibraltar. However, there are no flights to Gibraltar because the Spanish don't recognize British claims to the city. However, the British are the ones who control the city and they have the guns.<BR><BR>Why not do a google search and see what interests you. Virtualtourist.com has some reader written commentary.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 05:48 PM

In my opinion, Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona!<BR><BR>Seriously, Barcelona is incredible - I'd personally devote a nice chunk of my time there. Madrid - for me - was nice but not great. Good for 2, MAYBE three days max. If you have travelled in Europe, then you have seen plenty of cities like Madrid. <BR><BR>After the Louvre, the Prado is not quite as special. The Palace is nice but no pics and it isn't a long tour.<BR><BR>The Palace gardens are worth a stroll.<BR><BR>One thing I did like about Madrid were the number of unmarked - or un-promoted - catholic Basillicas that turned out to be pretty exceptional inside.<BR><BR>Barcelona is like no other European city. It will stand out. The Sagrada, Park Guell and Barcelona Cathedral are must see places. I'd see Casa Mila. Any decent guide book is going to steer you the right way.<BR><BR>I didn't go to Sevilla but I have friends who swear by it.<BR><BR>Have you considered spending some of your time in Portugal?<BR><BR>Good luck and enjoy!
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Michael

Segovia and Avila are beautiful provincial towns, and it may be worth a bus tour from Madrid just to get a taste of something other than the big cities.

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:51 AM
RAC

Madrid, Barcelona, and either Seville or Granada for the Andalucian experience.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 07:26 AM

This is kind of how we did it but in defferent order.<BR>1,2 Madrid - visit the Prado. There is a park and botanical garden nearby. Overall I wouldn't spend a lot of time in Madrid as it's pretty big and modern,not that easy to walk around.<BR>3 Daytrip to Toledo - it's a must<BR>2 days - Seville - take a train (about 2.5 hours), you can stop over in Cordoba.<BR>1 day - Granada - One day was enough actually to visit Alhambra and work around Albaicin<BR>3 days in Barcelona - park Guell was great
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 07:36 AM

My suggestion is:<BR>3 days for Madrid<BR>1 day for Toledo<BR>1 day for Segovia<BR>3 days for Barcelona<BR>1 day for Monserrat<BR>2 days for Costa Brava<BR>
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 07:43 AM

That is tough. IMHO, it takes 10 days to see central Spain, it takes 10 days to see Andalusia, and it takes 10 days to see Catalonia plus Costa Brava, and the same for Galacia/Rioja et al.Spain is really 4 trips--or more. Of the 4 areas, Andalusia is the best for me.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:32 AM

I vote for one night in Cuenca (beautiful, quaint town) at the Parador. Not a lot to do there, but 10 days of &quot;run-run&quot; wears you down and you won't enjoy the last few days in Barcelona as much. This is a very nice break.<BR><BR>Montserrat is a not to be missed 1/2 day trip from Barcelona (45-minute drive). Take the cable car up, stop in the museum and try to time things so that you can hear the choir boys sing.<BR><BR>Toledo &amp; Tarragona were also interesting stops/day trips between Madrid &amp; Barcelona. In Toledo the view from above down on the city was beautiful as was the Cathedral (one of my favorites in Europe). We also stopped to see Goya's artwork at Santo Tome. In Tarragona the Roman amphitheater remains overlooking the Meditteranian is a must. <BR><BR>In Madrid I'd make sure you see the Palace, the Prado (Goya's black paintings, Velazquez, Dali) Park Retiro and the Reina Sofia (Picasso's Guernica, some Dali's and I also enjoyed the Miro's).<BR><BR>I agree that Barcelona needs a few extra days. I felt like I missed quite a bit. Things not to miss: La Rambla (street), Parc Guell (Gaudi's dream community - free admision), Casa Batllo (Gaudi's apartment), Temple de la Sagrada Familia (exterior only, the interior is under construction - all you'll find is staging), the Cathedral and Poble Espanyol (a display from the 1929 world's fair of Spain's architecture - you can also see a Flamenco show here).
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 01:18 PM

Hi Jeanette,<BR>I agree completly with bobthenavigator regarding the 10 days needed to see in depth either Central Spain or Andalucia or Galicia/Cantabria or the Basque Country/Rioja. <BR>So since you arrive in Madrid and leave from Barcelona, I wouldn't attempt to squeeze in Andalucia (or any other region ), as I'm afraid it would result in a too hurried and superficial visit, and I wouldn't do the touring from Madrid to Barcelona by car.<BR><BR><BR>I would split up the 10 days much like tommy has suggested:<BR><BR>4 days: Madrid <BR>first 2 for seeing city, 2 more for day-long trips both to Toledo and Segovia/Avila. <BR><BR>fly from Madrid to BCN on Spanair or AirEuropa (versus the boring 7 hrs. via Talgo train)<BR><BR>3 days: Barcelona, with day trip to Montserrat<BR><BR>2 days: Costa Brava-Empord&aacute;<BR><BR>final night before flight home: Barcelona<BR><BR>This way you can see Madrid and environs more in depth, and by doing day trips from your Madrid base you can maximize your time rather than lose some by changing hotels/locations and renting cars. <BR>If you're an art and/or history buff, I would certainly include the Prado, Centro de Arte Reina Sofia and the Thyssen Collection (one of world's greatest former private collections) plus the Royal Palace, Retiro Park (Sun. is best) and a stroll around Old (Hapsburg) Madrid. <BR>Toledo and Segovia are certainly &quot;must see&quot; excursions (Avila would be an add on to Segovia only if you feel you can spare the time). You can do both Toledo and Segovia by public transportation or Toledo and Avila/Segovia by bus tour (don't know how you feel about canned tours).<BR><BR>For me 3 nights are a minimum for Barcelona, and I would use the super easy bus turistic for 2 days of very efficient sightseeing, including all the the Gaud&iacute; architecture, whatever museums appeal (the Picasso is terrific), Montjuic, the Cathedral and Barri Gotic, then a half day trip to Montserrat (doable by public transp. or tour).<BR><BR>For the Costa Brava, I would go either to Tossa (depending on how much you enjoy busy family beach resorts with lots of water sports) or the Aiguablava-Llafranc area (quieter with equally dramatic scenery but tiny, pebbly beaches in pine covered coves). Or if you're not beach enthusiasts, I would head for the Girona-Figueras area to do the inland Empord&aacute;, Catalunya's version of Tuscany. The distance from these Costa Brava/Empord&aacute; areas is too far to make it back to the BCN airport on the day of a morning flight, particularly on a weekend in high season when the roads are packed, so I would spend the night before back in the city. <BR>(but if you have a later afternoon flight, the drive from the Cardona or Vic paradors might be feasible)<BR><BR>Hope this helps a bit. <BR>And feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you'd like a copy of my Madrid or Barcelona files.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 12:42 PM

do not go to Granada, must see Sevilla, Cordoba, Toledo
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Windy

Hi Jeannette,<BR><BR>I live in Austin also and am going to Spain (Barcelona, Costa Brava, Costa Dorada) the first week of April. When are you going to Spain?<BR><BR>If you are interested, I would love to meet you and share Spain (and other places) travel tips and experiences and such. It would be nice to meet some fellow travelers from Austin!<BR><BR>Windy<BR><BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 06:21 PM

Hello Jeannette,<BR><BR>I, like Windy, also live in Austin. Spain is wonderful. My wife and I spent almost two weeks there two years ago this month. If you like Moorish architecture you should go to Granada because that is the location of the Alhambra. If you decide try try try to stay at the Parador as it is on the Alhambra grounds. It is worth the expense. The only thing I liked abou the town of Granada was the cathedral. We stayed in Sevilla for two days at the Hotel De Los Mercaderes (sic) in the old part of the city. I will always remember the white pigeons and orange tree blossoms. Sevilla is good for two or three days. The perons who talked about Sevilla being 2 and 1/2 hours from Madrid by train was refering to the high speed Ave. Cordoba is good for a day as is Toledo up by Madrid. We did a night in Ronda and that is about as much time one should spend there.<BR><BR>We did not do Barcelona. The Prado, Reina Sofia and the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza are wonderful art museums. I thought the Prado was better than the Louve. <BR><BR>I will be glad to answer any questions if I can that you have about Spain. My wife did not want to go there and now having went would love to go again.<BR><BR>Happy traveling.<BR><BR>John D. Pringle
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded for all your suggestions.<BR>I think I am going to follow the suggestions to only concentrate on Madrid (including Toledo, Segovia/Avila), Barcelona and finally Costa Brava (if not too rushed). We will have to leave Andalucia for our next trip. I know my husband will be happier that way since he is the type that does not like to rush through places. <BR>I will start working on a new schedule. If I have any more questions, now I know where to go for help. <BR><BR>Windy, we will be traveling in May (14-24) but I would love to hear about your trip when you come back. <BR> <BR>Thanks a lot!