Search

10 days in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days in Rome

ok.. our flight is booked and we have a place to stay.. we are going to base in Rome and day trip all over the place..

I had opportunies to travel to Rome 20 years ago quite frequently but have not been back since then and hubby has never been..I am certain it is quite different.

You all have planned so many wonderful trips for so many on this great forum.. we throw ourselves at your feet and beg for adventures..

talk amoung yourselves.. we leave March 7th
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Rome in July last year and I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to Rome the first week in March two years ago. It was cold, rainy, warm and sunny; all within four days. There were lots of tourists, but not like in high season.

Enjoy Rome!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Are you interested in churches? Last spring I started a thread, asking everyone to list their favorite churches in Rome. From that thread, I came up with a list of about 25 I wanted to see; I think I got to about half of them in six days.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Hi Ruby,

You will be leaving the day I come back!

I have been to Rome many times and I would suggest limiting your day trips to 2 or 3. I would do Pompeii, Florence and maybe Ostia Antica. Pompeii is about 2.5 hours away, Florence is 1.5 and Ostia is less than that.

As far as days in Rome, you could plan one day for the Vatican/st. Peters and the Borghese gallery (be sure to make a reservation for the Borghese gallery). Another day could be spent in the colosseum area. And the rest of the time could be spent just wandering around, peeking in churches and visiting the wonderful museums in the city.

Hope this helps, Donna

[email protected]
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Hi Ruby,

Highly recommend 2 trips:

Tivoli to see Hadrian's Villa (very interesting and nice grounds) and also the Villa d'Este with it's wonderful and amazing fountains!

Also, a day trip to Orvieto. Staying overnight would be better, then you could see Civita di Bagnoreggio too.

Buon viaggio!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

yeah.. already photos are forming in my mind of the wonderful time ahead.. we are from Phoenix so cold, rainy is actually a bit exciting for us.. We went to London in November just to wear a rain coat!!

More, More!!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

oh and Gard.. I have viewed your post before.. great help.. I have referred back to it a few times..
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM

The Royal Palace and Gardens in Caserta (less than two hours by car south of Rome according to mapquest) are simply amazing.
Check out the "points of interest" and "more pictures" of Reggia di Caserta on the Wikipedia site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caserta
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Why don't you do some research, plan your own initial itinerary based on your interests, budget and time frame. Post this information and let people make comments/suggestions.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Barbmike.. That is a good idea.. I just think this is so much more fun...all the different ideas and suggestions give me so much more options than my head could put together.. I will plan something using the suggestions..
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 06:19 PM

I know I'm doing you a favor for keeping this thread "alive", especially after you received 0 responses to your 07/12 thread on Casa della Palma.

Believe me, your responses will be MUCH greater if you start a new thread entitled, "please critique my Rome itinerary". Good Luck Newbie!!!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

and I appreciate your help barbmike! This must be how us newbies learn..