Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just buy your bottled water at the duty free?

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At most airports, you present your receipt to the airline staff as you board and the staff then gives you your duty free purchase. If you can buy duty free whiskey, wine, etc. why not water? Especially as the airport workers keeps track of it until your board?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:30 AM

I don't follow your question. The whole concept of "duty free" (as bogus as it usually is) is for expensive, luxury items that would have high taxes in-town, or something like that. You can always buy lots of cheaper things around airports shops, but they don't usually tout the "duty free" thing. Partly it's because people who buy for that reason and believe that, are the marketing target. You can usually buy some water at various shops in the airport, but water doesn't cost that much, relatively. There isn't a market for it, and there aren't high taxes on water usually, so the whole duty free things isn't relevant. Don't expect airlines and stores to start doing paperwork and hiring staff and making space for your water bottle. What's the purpose of this question anyway. Is it really too difficult for you to wait a bit until the airline serves you your water? Learn some patience.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Whoa!
I think bardo was offering an alternate way of getting a beverage onboard the airplane - now that bottled liquids arent allowed.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:37 AM
LN

You may have a good point here Bardo. Now we just need to check it out. Or I do since I'm heading to Germany soon.

Thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM

It isn't patience. Some water served by the airlines may not be as 'pure' as one would like.

"..The Environmental Protection Agency released a report on Jan. 19 on its second round of tests of water on aircraft, confirming previous tests showing that cabin drinking water does not always meet the agency's safety standards..."

http://www.dailynews.com/traveltools/tips/ci_2639691

http://tinyurl.com/jr975
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:41 AM

>I'm heading to Germany
If you don't land in the UK, there won't be a problem.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM

maybe I'm not reading something but as I understand it when we in the US enter any planes, whether going through the UK or not, NO LIQUIDS. We can have carry on (no electronics, but battery operated are OK)... just NO LIQUIDS
so the question remains about the water issue. I don't drink water ... but want it badly when I cannot have it!
Also, I have sat in the plane, on the tarmac waiting to go and have had to wait for almost and hour and a half once...water was a nice amenity then.
So...maybe we'll get our little bottles of USAir Water supplied by DeerPark (or whomever) when we get on...
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM

So maybe someone here can tell, if there's a problem taking liquids on board a flight of a non US plane that is originating from the US?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM

As I understand, you can buy water after going thru the check points, but must dispose of it before going on the plane. They are saying no Liquid is to be carried on the plane. You are not going to be allowed to buy whiskey at the duty free shops.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:20 AM

You can not take ANY liquids aboard a plane as of yesterday. Have a good long drink before you board, then wait for in flight drinks to be served.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM

As of today you cannot bring any liquids on board including bottled water. The local paper here warned not to drink too much though as you won't be able to use the airplane's toilets until at least half an hour after takeoff. I suppose using the plane's toilets before takeoff is now banned.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Travelnut,

Yes. I usually go through 4-6 liter bottles on a trans-Atlantic flight and would never drink aircraft water unless it was a sealed, unopened bottle.

I only offered this idea thinking that it will be airport personnel handing you water as you board, that you purchased in the secure section of the airport, after clearing security checkpoints. Surely there's no risk in that.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Surely there's no risk in that.

The airlines disagree, and no liquids bought airside are allowed on the planes. BA has even stopped in-flight sales of duty free.

This is a knife in the heart of the duty free and airport merchants. Just do an imaginary walk through LHR T4 and with your mind's eye think of the shops not able to sell you ANYTHING, since you can only take your baggie on board.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM

There's not enough water on a plane to support my H2O habit.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM

I received an email from Northwest this morning. They too said if bottled water is purchased after going security it has to be drunk before boarding the plane, no carryon liquids will be allowed on the plane, except for mothers with babies & toddlers, and they will have to take a sip or whatever of it at security.

Northwest said they are stocking their planes with a lot of extra bottles of water, so hopefully all airlines will be doing this.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM

No liquids means no liquids.

You cannot buy any beverages after you clear security and take them on the aircraft. The web sites make that point crystal clear.

This from the Delta website:

Also, you will not be allowed to bring any liquids or gels purchased after passing through the security checkpoint onboard the aircraft. Any beverages you purchase in the airport will have to be consumed before you board.

There is additional security at the departure gates as well these days.
Or had that technicality eluded most people?

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
rex

It seems to me that it will only be a matter of days that someone will buy a bottle of water, after clearing security screening - - and then stick it in their carry-on bag - - perhaps forgetful... perhaps trying to be provocative...

... and then get it out of said carry-on bag, midflight...

... and a big ruckus will erupt.

I don't want to try to predict the outcome.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:48 PM

So, Northwest is stocking more water? Good for them. The way I figure it, they'll have a lot of room in those overhead bins (flying from the U.K. to the U.S.), so within a few days, these airlines will probably start packing more bottled water for all their passengers. Let's hope so.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Will the airlines add a bottled water charge to the airfares now that they will have to have more supply onboard?
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM

The german minister of interior just said on TV that liquids will be banned on flights originating from Germany in future.... It seems to me this is exagerated. He was stabbed while campaigning years ago and now is sitting in the wheelchair, maybe that's one reason?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -