10 days in Ireland. Help!

Feb 20th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

10 days in Ireland. Help!

Ok, so this is my first time to Ireland, and I had a few questions.

I'll be arriving in Dublin on a Saturday and will spend at least three nights in Dublin, possibly taking day trip to the countryside. Right now, we are looking at three options for the middle of our trip. Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh) for three days, Wales (Cardiff) for three days, or remain in Ireland, possibly traveling West.

As I have no idea what to see in any of these places, aside from the major cities, I would appreciate advice in any facet. Thanks.
Feb 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Your questions are really unanswerable w/o some more info from you. You need to do a bit of research -- why have you picked Ireland and/or Scotland and/or Wales? You could start by clicking on DESTINATIONS above and reading up.

Six days is nothing for seeing Ireland. And 3 days won't give you any time in Scotland - except for one city. Ireland/Scotland/Wales are not really 'city destinations'. There are cities of course, but unless you just want city experiences, you'd need to get out and about in the countryside.

You say the 'middle' of your trip -- so where are you going after those middle 3 days? What sorts of things do you want to see/do?
Feb 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM

For a first time visit, I suggest you stay in Ireland. You will easily fill 3 days (actually that is a very short time). I'd probably stay 2-3 nights in Dublin, and use the rest of days to explore the island. Otherwise you lose more of your time flying to Britain. And I doubt that 3 days do Scotland or Wales justice.

For some general information where to go and what to see, I suggest you here:
http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/i...uidebooks.html
Or is this also illegal advertising?
Feb 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM

We spent 10 days in Ireland. We squeezed a lot into those ten days but still felt there was much more to see.

Just for reference, we spent one night in Kilkenny, one night in Kinsale, two nights in Killarney, one night in Dingle, one night in Galway, one night in Bunratty, and the last two nights in Dublin. I know this type of trip is not for everyone but we enjoy driving and the changes in scenery.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Okay. So we've decided to stick to Ireland. Right now the plan looks something like this:

Day 1,2,3 - Dublin
Day 4 - Kilkenny
Day 5,6 - Cork
Day 7,8 - Killarney
Day 9 - Dingle
Day 10 - Fly out of Dublin

If anyone sees any problems with this please feel free to say so. We will be relying solely on public transportation to get around. Thanks.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 02:51 PM

That's quite a drive from Dingle to Dublin in one day, I would shorten one stop and add a town inbetween.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Okay I just tweeked it a bit.

Day 1,2 - Dublin
Day 3 - Kilkenny
Day 4,5 - Cork
Day 6,7 - Killarney
Day 8 - Dingle
Day 9 - Shannon
Day 10 - Fly out from Shannon
Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM

Sounds wonderful, wish I was going!