two weeks in Ireland

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
two weeks in Ireland

My son and I are planning a two week self drive trip to Ireland, this is what we started with,4day's in the west ,3 day's in the north, 2 day's in Dublin, and 4days in the south.Is this a good way to start?
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Some ideas to get you started:

You don't need/want a car in Dublin, so it makes more sense to have the city at either the beginning or end. Pick up the car leaving Dublin at the beginning or drop it before going into the city at the end.

Also, Ireland doesn't break into neat 2 or 3 day segments. What do you mean by the 'south' and 'north'? By 'north' do you mean Northern Ireland (a different country) or n/nw Ireland?

Plus you need to add in travel time between areas -- driving in Ireland is slower than you might expect. Count on about 35 mph in most scenic areas.

Have you booked your flights yet? if so, where are you flying in to and out of? If not, open jaw into Shannon and out of Dublin or vice versa would be easier.

W/ 13 days on the ground in Ireland I'd aim for 7 or 8 days in the W/SW, 3 days in Northern Ireland and finish up w/ 2 days in Dublin car-less. Or if you don't want to go to NI, 10 days in the W/SW and 3 days in/near Dublin.
Old May 14th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

We are flying in and out of Shannon. What I ment by west is from, Kilkee to Sligo in 4 days, In northern Ireland for 3 days, Stay in Dublin for 2 days, Head south And spend 4 days around Cork. Is this too much to see in 13 days, would it be better to not go to Northern Ineland?
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Cork and Killarney are what I meant by the W/SW. That would also include Kilkee.

You really don't want a car in Dublin-- if you go there be SURE to stay in a place that provides parking and is on a bus line in/out of the city.

But honestly, 13 days very rushed for a full tour around the whole island. It is up to you what you want to see/do. What do you want to see in NI? Giants Causeway? Belfast? something else?

The R-T in/out of Shannon does complicate things just a bit and does add some back tracking. A problem in the way you've laid it out - it doesn't account for the full days you'll use just driving from one region to the next. Like I mentioned, the country doesn't break into neat segments like that.

maybe a better way for you to go is to make a list of the sites/towns/parks/castles you want to see and then work out an itinerary that fits them in.

You could fly into Shannon and stay one night nearby since driving on jetlag is really dangerous. Then tour southwards (County Cork, Killarney, Dingle, Kerry, back up to Ennis/Cliffs of Moher, Aran Islands, etc). This is about 5-6 days worth.

Then Northwest Ireland and Northern Ireland for 3-4 days and down to Dublin for 2 nights. But what time is you flight out? You may need to be back near Shannon the night before.

I'd honestly consider dropping Dublin and spend your entire time in the West/SW and North.
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

thank you you have been very helpful