Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 days in Europe with 2 year old. Paris + (blank)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a 10 day trip to Europe in October with our 2 year old. I want to visit Paris again for 3 days, Versailles for 1 day and the rest of the days at another destination.

Any suggestions for a second place/country by train that won't be too stressful with a toddler? We will probably be exhausted after the hustle and bustle of Paris and would appreciate a mellower destination. Return tickets from busy Rome (we've both been) and Barcelona (neither of us have been, but I lived in Madrid) and Amsterdam (he's been, I haven't) are inexpensive so I'm considering those three places but I'm definitely open to other calmer, picturesque destinations.

When we visited Kyoto, Japan as a family, our favorite memory was just pushing her in the stroller while tasting the most delicious street food. We would love a similar experience, Europe-style.

Thank you so much!
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Maybe Paris-Amsterdam-Berlin in 10 days? Too much?
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 09:32 PM

Amsterdam or Berlin are not more "mellow" than Paris, I can assure you.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Oh, no. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 10:22 PM

Hi CaliforniaMama,

Lake Geneva (Morges, Vevey, or Montreux) is always mellow, and it's stunning in October when the leaves change. If you want to be in a city, nice, mellow Swiss cities would be Luzern, Bern, or Basel. All easy to get to by train from Paris.

Other ideas might be Brugges, Lyon, or Cologne.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions, swandav2000! I will definitely look into the places you mentioned!
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 03:10 AM

Your return tickets are from Rome? Why not a quiet hill town in Tuscany or Umbria? Our son took his almost 2 year-old last fall to Spello where they rented an airbnb from a family that had toys and a high chair ready for him. The locals showered our grandson with attention. They got great photos of him. He got his first gelato, and, for them, it was a perfect week of visiting new places in that area.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the idea of a smaller Tuscan hill town. Loads to choose from and a baby will open the hearts of most restaurants ('specially if blonde) but cobbles can be a pain. Do you want a pool in which case you might like an agritorismo type place or maybe somewhere like Buonconvento or San Quirico or maybe somewhere on the main line Chiusi
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 08:42 AM

Switzerland.

YOu only have 6 days outside Paris, with a toddler no way in the world would I turn this into such marathon trips as adding two more major cities/countries, going to Tuscany, etc.

I think the idea that a return ticket from various cities are "cheap" as a way to plan such a short vacation isn't very practical. The cost to get there won't be cheap in time or money, at least Rome and Barcelona. Amsterdam would be okay if you want to go there.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 10:00 AM

I did a trip to Paris, Bruges and Leiden with my 2 year old a few years ago. I think your itinerary whichever version you chose sounds fine. I have no problem packing up my child and moving a lot, and if you don't either, I wouldn't worry about changing so much. There's a directly train from Paris to Bruges. But then to get to Amsterdam from Bruges, you have to train to Brussels and then to Amsterdam. We had to rent a car because the railroad went on strike the day we were traveling. We went to Leiden to visit a cousin. We spent two days there I think and it was super peaceful though no much to do with a 2 year old. In Bruges, we spent two full days there and must have been 3 nights. I think one full day is sufficient. We did the boat tour twice and the carriage ride twice just to have something to do. My sister was with us on the trip, and she was on conference calls the whole day working which is why we had have the extra day in Bruges.

We did not do Amsterdam so I can't tell you how toddler friendly it is. Though I will say, most cities and towns have young kids so i bet you can find something.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Amsterdam is in October not so mobbed as in summer. And with few cars in city center you could get a nice hotel in a very quiet part of town like near Vondel Park which is heaven for folks with kids that age as there are special play areas for kids and miles of paved walkways. And trams to take you around town. Maybe hit Bruges as suggested above en route to Amsterdam - but it too is a tourist mecca.

Italy or Spain are long long train trips though there is an overnight train to Venice from Paris - could be a treat in a private compartment - spend few days there and take train to Rome.

I would not eschew large cities as in October though still busy with tourists are not that bad and there is so much for adults to see in Rome and Venice of course - though Venice may be a challenge if kid is in a stroller with all the humpbacked bridges.

Anyway for lots on trains and booking your own discounted tickets check www.seat61.com - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Whitehall: >>Your return tickets are from Rome? Why not a quiet hill town in Tuscany or Umbria?<<. I think you may have misunderstood.

The OP said >>Return tickets from busy Rome (we've both been) and Barcelona (neither of us have been, but I lived in Madrid) and Amsterdam (he's been, I haven't) are inexpensive<< . . . meaning that flights home from Rome, Barcelona, and A'dam seem to be affordable.

CaliforniaMama: Me persoally - I'd either go somewhere in the French countryside and fly home from Paris . . . OR maybe go to somewhere in the English countryside and fly out of LHR . . . OR Whitehall's suggestion of Umbria or Tuscany. October is sort of 'off' for Switzerland -- too late for summer and too early for winter activities.

(Actually I'd do Paris and London but you seem to want a more laid back/rural destination)
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Amsterdam is in October not so mobbed as in summer.<<

IME yes -- it is very busy even in Oct. And while some tourist attractions may be minimally less crowded, in many major cities October is one of the most expensive times to visit because of all the business travelers and because the Autumn cultural events are up and running.

There is no real 'off season' in those big cities - well, late Jan/Feb maybe.

Last edited by janisj; Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 10:37 AM

"Amsterdam is in October not so mobbed as in summer. And with few cars in city center you could get a nice hotel in a very quiet part of town like near Vondel Park which is heaven for folks with kids that age as there are special play areas for kids and miles of paved walkways."

Amsterdam in october is nearly as mobbed as in summer.
Cars are everywhere in Amsterdam, also in the city center.
For Vondelpark, the weather has to be decent in october. That's a gamble in NL.

However: Amsterdam has loads to do for kids and their parents, also for 2 year olds.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

If Paris or Berlin were the two options for departure cities and we were to spend the first 4 days in Paris, is there a close enough second destination which we could get to by train that could act as a convenient home base for day trips to towns/cities/sights for the remaining days? Amsterdam, Bruges and the Swiss cities sound appealing but two hotel locations (Paris and another place) is probably the max.

Last edited by CaliforniaMama; Jun 26th, 2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 11:44 AM

Berlin is a long long train putz from Paris. Montreux in Switzerland as swandav2000 suggests could be ideal - smallish town and neat lakeside walking paths and several easy-peasy day trips to nearby places - like into the Alps by train - boat rides around the lake - and many more -if interested could elaborate (or swandav could better as she lived in that area for a spell.

But I would stay in Paris say 4 nights to begin with then go to Montreux and come back to Paris for final say 2 nights.

Amsterdam is just 3.5 hours from Paris by train - and you could stay in a smaller city with few tourists at that time like Haarlem just a 20-minute train ride from Amsterdam -lovely canal-laced regional city.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Actually a train ride back to Paris might be less schlepping as the Berlin departure flight has a layover in Stockholm. Paris flight is direct.

Last edited by CaliforniaMama; Jun 26th, 2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Berlin is a long long train putz from Paris. Montreux in Switzerland as swandav2000 suggests could be ideal - smallish town and neat lakeside walking paths and several easy-peasy day trips to nearby places - like into the Alps by train - boat rides around the lake - and many more -if interested could elaborate (or swandav could better as she lived in that area for a spell.

But I would stay in Paris say 4 nights to begin with then go to Montreux and come back to Paris for final say 2 nights.

Amsterdam is just 3.5 hours from Paris by train - and you could stay in a smaller city with few tourists at that time like Haarlem just a 20-minute train ride from Amsterdam -lovely canal-laced regional city.
I like this idea. Probably would be less work just to train it back to Paris on the final day as that would eliminate the third hotel move.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

What about Bruges as a second destination? It’s closer to Paris. Are day trips easy from Bruge?
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Amsterdam, no matter what time of year, is plenty full of cars, and trams, and mad bicyclists. If you don't mind spending vacation time dodging hair-raising vehicular traffic, sure it's a great city. I'd pick a quieter venue - there are plenty of them not far from Paris and Amsterdam. And yes, there are numerous daytrips possible from Bruges - go to the seashore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -