Search

10 day Ireland trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 03:25 PM
gbs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 day Ireland trip

Have a ten day Fall trip to Ireland planned. Some golfing for some of us, sightseeing for all. Would you rent a place for a week or just do B&B's every few days?
Shannon airport.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 06:38 PM

It would really depend to me on how far out you are going to roam. If you stay in that general 'quarter' of Ireland, (southwest), I would stay pick a base and travel back and forth every day. If you plan on ranging farther out, say to Dublin or Glendalough, or into the north, I'd say B&B as you go -- driving back can take a lot of time out of your day, and can tire you out.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 11:17 AM
gbs
Original Poster

We have no plans at this time, would relish some ideas. In and out of Shannon, but have not a clue where to go from there. Anyone willing to help with an itinerary?
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 12:28 PM

Have you been to Ireland before? Do the golfers have specific courses they'd like to play?
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 01:40 PM
gbs
Original Poster

None of us has ever been before,they have no specifics re: golf courses. We don't even know where to start as to an itinerary....any suggestions?
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 02:43 PM

Since you haven't been before, I'd probably advise you not to stay in one place for a week. You don't have to move every night, but I'd guess you'll want to see some different areas.
There are lots of itinerary possibilities. Here's one:
Day 1-3: Dingle
Day 4 & 5: Lahinch area of west Clare
Day 6 & 7: Galway
Day 8 & 9: Clifden or Westport
Day 10: Ennis or Killaloe
I chose Dingle because the peninsula is beautiful; it's a great little town; there are 2 golf courses on the peninsula. I chose Lahinch area because of the famous Lahinch course. I chose Galway in case you want a taste of city life. I chose Clifden/Westport because you'll drive through Connemara area which is gorgeous, and there are courses near both towns. I chose Ennis/Killaloe because both are near Shannon for your last day.
This may involve moving more than you'd like, so you might consider consolidating.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:33 PM
cd

gbs
Mary has given some great suggestions! Please don't go to Ireland and not visit Dingle Peninsula including Slea Head Drive. Beautiful scenery! Also, I would suggest your last night be spent in Dromoland Castle. A real castle with what looked like a great golf course (we don't golf, so can't give first hand advice there) But we loved staying there. Check out: http://www.dromoland.ie/
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:35 PM
cd

Forgot to add that Dromoland is close to Shannon Airport.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:49 PM

I'd add Dublin to any Irish itinerary,unless you're big city phobic. It's much different than I expected. I thought it would be dark and medieval looking; instead it's a beautiful, largely 18th century city with occasional earlier buildings. Lot's to see and do.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 08:30 PM
gbs
Original Poster

Thanks you so much. Mary, some great ideas. I will start my research by checking out your suggestions. Any more ideas?
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 01:47 AM

Take a look at my http://groups.msn.com/gate5
I've got a couple of 9-hole and one 18-hole (all 'links' courses) there and a suggested itinerary.
BTW
Be careful where you go in west Clare (Lahinch and Spanish Point) around the first of October. There's a matchmaking festival centered around Lisdoonvarna - I was hitch-hiking there in late Sep '01 and got picked up by two ladies. But that's a whole nuther story ....