Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 week family trip Budapest and Prague.. Suggestions needed

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

I have been reading fodors postings for a long time and appreciate all the wealth of information. I was hoping for some comments/suggestions from all the experienced posters here about our upcoming trip. Thank you very much in advance.

We are planning a week-long family trip (myself, DH, 2 daughters ages 10 and 13) for spring break to Budapest and Prague. We are happy-go-lucky and more than only touristy sightseeing enjoy people-watching, good food and "being local" in a place.

We are flying in from NY - Budapest arriving April 20 early morning. Since we are a party of 4 we aren't finding any hotel that would let us stay in 1 room, even when upgrading to a suite. I was wondering about some of the "apartment hotels" that I have seen coming up on searches. Adina Apartment Hotel Budapest and St. George hotel. Does anyone have experience staying at these? Also, which neighborhood would you recommend for hotels.

Current plan is to stay in Budapest for 4 days and travel to Prague on April 24. We are thinking of taking the train and haven't been very successful in finding informaion on-line. Is train travel Ok or would you recommend a flight? Or a 1 day break in Vienna?

We would be in Prague from April 24 - 27. Flying out on April 27 back to NY. Is Koruny still used in Prague or is it perferable to use Euros?

Again, would appreciate hotel recommendations and itinerary planning including getting to and from train station and airport.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Hi Kajal; Try vrbo.com for apartment rentals. They are individual owners, worldwide, collected on this site. Many people have used this company 'vrbo'. You can also download great information on Prague on inyourpocket.com ENJOY Iris
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Yes - the Czechs still use the Koruny (but not for much longer I'd say). Some hotels, larger restaurants and some taxi drivers will accept Euro but you're better off sticking with the "home" currency.

For accommodation in Prague try http://apartments-in-prague.org/ - I have rented twice from this company and found them completely satisfactory (you can find trip reports on this site). Try to stay in the Mala Strana area of Prague - it's near all the main sights but away from the awful stag parties that congregrate around the Old Town and Wenceslas Squares.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM

This may not be what you have in mind, but we just went in March with our 18 year old son and had a room at the Intercontinental that had two large beds...we were upgraded because we joined the Ambassador's Club before we went...but before that upgrade, we were set to have a portable bed in the room with us. Don't know what rates you could get but it's a VERY well located hotel. Our son enjoyed Statue Park, the House of Terror, streudel at Ruszwurm's on Castle Hill, the funicular, the Great Market Hall, the Great Synagogue, the Tree of Life sculpture.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Hotels in Budapest offer fair value; apartments in Budapest often offer fantastic value. I suggest that you give the apartment option serious consideration. And you can have the advantage of having two bedrooms.

The Adina is not in the best location -- not awful, but not the best. I suggest that you take iris1745's advice and explore vrbo.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the apartment hotel suggestions. I will certainly check it out.

Any advice on getting from Budapest to Prague?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

How do I know which district number to pick an apartment in for Budapest? The vrbo site has many listings but I don't have a great sense of what each district numbers mean. We would love to be close to the river in a luxury apartment.

Thank you again,

Kajal
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Kajal; On VRBO, go to 'help', then when you see search, type in 'Budapest luxury river apartments' and see what happens. You will then also be able to ask a direct question when 'request for assistance' apears. Iris
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:38 AM

I was in Prague in October and it was wonderful...be careful though of the relax shops there...they are just legalized prostitute stores! I would recommend staying inside the old part of Prague, if possible. We stayed at just right outside, at the Movenpick. We got A HUGE HUGE Room..you could have slept 20 people in the room. The staff was nice, booked all of our tours for us and even the onsite restaurant was excellent. We took a metro into the old part of Prague, its was crammed but what else are you going to do! We got the movenpick through priceline, so I’m not sure what the going rate is for it. Hope it helped...

Oh yes by the way…there is a side street by the clock in the old part of Prague, I cant remember what it is called, but if you were looking directly at the clock and you turn around you would see it behind you. If you followed it, there is usually a small farmers market back behind the buildings, it is fantastic! And there is a fantastic place to eat, has the best pizza around!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Find a map! Here is one site with maps. http://www.budpocketguide.com/TouristInfo/Map_of_Bp.asp The district numbers are usually given in Roman numerals. The district number on its own is not a good indicator. The northern end of District 9 (IX) is a good location, but further south in the same district is just a bit too far away from the interesting places.

Be warned that luxury and overlooking the river involve premium prices.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Hello!

If you plan on travelling from Budapest to Prague I would go to diebahn.de to check the train schedules there or to www.elvira.hu.

For apartment in Budapest maybe http://apartment.gyuli.com/ could be a good one. It is by the Danube, but though it is not so big.

Take care and enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM

I have a book probably at least your 13 year old might find interesting. It is Twelve Little Cakes and it's a memoir of growing up under communism, so while written by an adult, it is from a child's perspective. It is set in Czechoslovakia.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM

bm
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM

You might try Residence Mala Strana in Prague; I do not know what is available for your days but they have suites that should work for a family:

http://www.hotelresidence-mala-strana.com/

We will be staying there in June.

Also there is a family Spring Break trip report at http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35119406

that has a lot of useful information for a trip similar to yours.

Good luck.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Mambo_

One pension in Prague that lots of fodorites have recommended is the Pension Dietzenhofer, in Mala Strana. It backs on to Kampa Island. We considered it for our visit to Prague, but it wasn't available.

Our family of four stayed at the Pension U Lilie, which is just ok, very simple but clean, cold breakfast buffet, fantastic location near the bridge, very good rates. (But we did find Prague to be somewhat expensive for what you get.)

It' a wonderful city. Have fun there. Be sure to tour the old castle, and enjoy the little shops on the way up there. I think it's an enchanting place, especially for kids ages 10 and 13.
>-

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Mambo_

P.S. I forgot to mention this website, which is a wealth of information, from a person who lives in Prague, with a free walking tour map, restaurant and hotel recommendations:
http://www.livingprague.com/accmala.htm
>-

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again everyone for all the helpful suggestions and ideas. I am eagerly looking forward to our trip now.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 11:02 PM

We stayed in Prague at the Pension Balbin, on Balbinova near the Muzeum metro stop & Wenchelas Square. It is on the top floors of an apartment building and has one room that I know of that would allow all of you to stay together. It is small, have a great buffet breakfast. The bathroom is in the room, has skylights, nice English-speaking staff and clean. You are within walking distance of about any where you want to go. It is not upscale but very safe and clean. You go up one flight to an elevator which takes you the rest of the way.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Mambo - thank you for the site. It has a wealth of information.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Mambo_

You are welcome. It is very helpful, isn't it? I think the places recommended on that site have been actually 'inspected' by the writer.

One place I wouldn't recommend, though, is Wenceslas Square. It has many junky little shops, plus American chain stores, and is the one place in Prague where we saw pickpockets actively working. We were glad we weren't staying there. Too commercial, not very charming. Staying closer to the bridge and old town square puts you closer to the little windy streets of Prague that are fun to wander.
>-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO