Reload this Page >

1 night in Amsterdam

Search

1 night in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Susan

1 night in Amsterdam

Enroute to Scotland, have 1 night in Amsterdam in September. Arrive 2pm leave 8am the next morning. Looking for HELP. Hotel and whether its feasible to do a canal tour at night? Anything else we can fit in? Traveling from Seattle so long trip. Will I be too tired? Thank you for any help!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 05:38 PM
John

Canal trip at night no problem and hotels are plentiful.<BR><BR>Enjoy...............John

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:30 PM
April

We flew from Vancouver, BC and took a night-time canal cruise the same day as we landed. We were exhausted but it was a wonderfully relaxing way to sightsee. It remains one of my fondest memories of Amsterdam.<BR><BR>I don't know if you'll be able to fit in the Van Gogh Museum, which would be a shame to miss. Otherwise, just walking along the canals is fun.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Jackie

<BR>Hi, Susan!<BR><BR>I highly recommend the Hotel Brouwer on the Singel canal. It costs 80 Euros for a double room with ensuite facilities, breakfast included. It's only about a 7-10 minute walk from Centraal Station. Book now as it is very popular.<BR><BR>Night time is my favourite time for a canal boat trip. All the bridges are lit up with lovely little lights. It is very romantic. There are many different companies which run these, eg across from Centraal Station, on Damrak, and on the Rokin.<BR><BR>Strolling the canals and popping into some of the many excellent cafes, bars, or coffeeshops would be a relaxing way of spending the afternoon before a good meal in one of the many restaurants prior to your canal boat ride. If you like Indonesian food, Amsterdam has a good choice, eg the Lombok Indah on Vijzelstraat, Tempo Doeloe on Utrechtsestraat, or Sama Sebo on PC Hooftstraat.<BR><BR>Hope this is helpful to you.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:54 AM
Susan

Thank you everyone. Jackie I did find a room available at the hotel Bouwer. Did you convert to Euro's before departure? I'm only there one night then onto Scotland to visit friends so won't need more than the one nights worth. How difficult is it to get from the airport to this hotel? Sounds like most use the train? Are canal tours available anywhere or one central location? I assume they are all cash transactions? Thank you again. I'm so excited! I've waited many years at make this trip.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:03 AM
Jackie

<BR>Hi again, Susan!<BR><BR>I'm glad you found a room at the Hotel Brouwer. You won't be disappointed. <BR><BR>At the airport, I use an ATM to obtain Euros. Then I get a ticket for the train to Centraal Station. These run very frequently from the airport. The fastest take only about 15-20 minutes. The Hotel Brouwer is, at most, only about ten minutes easy walk from the train station.<BR><BR>Canal trips are available from a number of places around Amsterdam. If you look at my first post again, three locations are mentioned. I've only ever used cash for payment, but they may well take card payment too.<BR><BR>Cheers!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:22 AM
Dick

Susan, we were in Amsterday just a couple of weeks ago. Train for airport to Central Station was a very easy process. Since we were staying for a couple of days we purchased one way ticket for 2.90 euros. And, ticket seller said "Track #3" and pointed to escalator. Taking the escalator we moved down onto track to the train which was waiting. Hopped on board and at the third stip (I believe) we were at the station. Coming up to street level we were then looking towards Dam Square and our hotel which was only 700 meters away. Our return to the airport was equally smooth. But, this time a conductor actually punched our ticket as on our ride to the station no one collected or otherwise inspected ticket. One point I might add about "helpful" persons near the train station. Some are simply panhandlers looking for easy money. Someone will offer directions (unsolicited) and then expect a tip. Others will hit you up for money so they may open their locker, lost their ticket, etc. Speaking of tours I do recall seeing the KeyTour office on Dam Square as well as seeing tour info at major booth near transportation center in airport. Your hotel should also be able to arrange for tour. You might also be able to fit in a museum visit plus the canal tour. Some canal tours have evening meal as well.