1 night between Munich and Bolzano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a ski trip to the Dolomites at the end of January and will be flying into Munich and then driving south. We need to find somewhere to stay the night we arrive (Friday) since we cannot check into our hotel in Val Gardena/Groden until Saturday. We have previously stayed in Bolzano/Bozen and loved it, but would like to try somewhere new, perhaps in Austria.

We are looking for a picturesque town close to the E45/A22/A13, where we could stay in a comfortable hotel(doesn't need to be fancy, just good for jetlagged travellers) for not more than around 100 Euros for the night.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 09:59 AM

You will likely want either Hall in Tirol or Igls--both are villages looking over Innsbruck--but I do not know a hotel at that price--I am sure there are some.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi telechick,

Picturesque towns...

We can highly recommend Hall in Tirol and a stay at the Gasthof Badl. We stayed here 3 times recently. Very nice place run by wonderful people with a nice restaurant. It's about 2 and a 1/2 hours from the Munich airport and very easy on/off the highway to the Brenner pass and Italy. Actually, the Italian border is less than a 30 min. drive from here.

www.badl.at

Mittenwald, Germany is also an excellent place to stop for the night. It's about 2 hours from the airport and less than 1 hour to the Italian border. We stayed twice recently at the Pension Schwalbennestl. Again, a very nice place run by very nice people.

www.schwalbennestl.de

The website is in German only, yet you can correspond in English.

While we never stayed overnight, we love the town of Brixen/Bressanone in Italy (on the way to Val Gardena).

www.brixen.org

We have some photo's of these places (including the Gasthof Badl and Pension Schwalbennestl) at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/travel11.html

Hope this helps.

Paul

Old Oct 27th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob and Paul. I've sent a request to the hotel in Hall and will see if they have room. I will also look into your other suggestions.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Depending on how long you want to drive after your arrival in Munich, my candidates would be Mittenwald (Bavaria), Seefeld/Tirol (Austria) or Bressasone (Brixen), in the Alto Adige/Suedtirol in Italy. I have stayed in the Hotel Post in Mittenwald and liked it; have driven through Seefeld and Brixen , but never stayed there.

You will love skking in the Groednertal, and especially the nearbvy Seisser Alm.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 03:55 AM

It has to be Innsbruck, great city, lots of accommodation choice and slap bang in the middle to the 2.

greetings from a white Innsbruck

matthew
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

thanks again for the suggestions. We have a reservation at the Gasthof Badl in Hall in Tirol. I'm really looking forward to it! I will report back after our trip.