Munich Restaurants and Winter Activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in the Munich area mid January/early February for 3 weeks. I was in the the same area this summer, and hit the highlights. I would greatly appreciate recommendations for the area in the winter season - restaurant recommendations would be great (I hit the more popular Bavarian restaurants in July, so other types of cuisine recommendations would be great). Also, weekend trip ideas. Thank you!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Try a meal or two at Peterhof, right on the Marienplatz. Great sausages, homebreads, and homemade mustard. For something a bit more upmarket, Dallmayr is wonderful; it's above the popular deli of the same name. A week-end trip to the Garmisch/Partenkirchen area would be very nice. In Garmisch we found a terrific Italian restaurant, but I have no idea whether it's still in business. It was on the main street running from Garmisch to Partenkirchen.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Underhill - I greatly appreciate your response and recommendations...
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Underhill -

Are you thinking of Pizzeria Da Renzo at Rathausplatz 6 perhaps?

It's our favorite place to eat in Garmisch.

AveryC - If you're heading to Garmisch, you might want to also continue on to Mittenwald, which is 20 minutes from Garmisch. It's a beautiful alpine town and definitely worth a visit.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Would you recommend an overnight stay in Mittenwald, or a day trip? Any hotel recommendations for Garmisch and/or Mittenwald? Thank you!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:00 PM

I think the restaurant was indeed Pizzeria da Renzo, and it was terrific and a real change of pace after all the wurst. I don't know of a hotel in Mittenwald, although it would be a very nice place to stay, but the PostHotel in Partenkirchen was quite pleasant when we stayed there.

If you like heights (as I do NOT), my husband recommends the cable-car trip up to the top of the Zugspittze, if you have a clear day for it.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:50 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with Underhill - the Zugspitz is a "must see" if you're in the Garmisch area - I've been to the top on every visit and I never tire of the gorgeous view.

I was in Garmisch last month, but had a bad experience with my lodging, so can't recommend it.

We spent several nights in Mittenwald a few years back - we used it as a base to explore the whole area - Fussen, Garmisch, Oberstdorf, Obermmergau (think I misspelled that one), Schloss Linderhof, Innsbruck and Seefeld, Austria.

We had a car and found it easy to get from one place to the other. We spent a few nights in Munich too, but returned the car and travelled by train within Munich.

You can easily see Mittenwald in a day, but if you want to do any of the mountain excursions from Mittenwald, you might want to spend at least a night there. We stayed at the Hotel Garni Bichlerhof - it was okay, but very small and nothing to get excited about. We had several good meals at their sister hotel the Alpenrose, and the Hotel Reiger looked promising. I think I'd choose the Reiger on my next visit.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Excellent! Thank you for the information! How about ethnic restaurant recommendations in Munich?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:38 AM

We enjoyed the Spatenhaus. Excellent food. Here's a website I ran across and has a list of all the ethnic restaurants for you to check out.

http://www.inyourpocket.com/germany/...id=GEMUENX0388
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 08:31 PM

AveryC,

I hope you have a wonderful time in Germany. For flight reading, I must recommend a book that takes place in Munich and environs and is a Good Read: Elizabeth Peter's The Trojan Gold. We drove all over the place trying to locate the villages included in the plot but never did, although Mittenwald looked like a winner for one of them.