1-Day Icelandair Stopover – Worth It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am supposed to go to Europe in August, and Icelandair has the cheapest flights. Right now it looks like I could arrange my flights so that I can have either an 8-hour layover or a 24- to 32-hour stopover.

If I just do the layover I would still rather go into Reykjavik than to the Blue Lagoon.

SO - is the extra time gained by the stopover worth the added expense (hotel; additional meals; maybe Golden Circle tour by rental car or bus; etc.)?

Also, airfare Boston-Scandinavia is running about $760 right now on Icelandair. Obviously, nobody knows for sure what prices will do in the coming months, but does that seem like a good deal, or is it reasonable to expect it to drop?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Iceland is worth whatever time you can give it, but I would definitely try to work in two days at least.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

GaryCA--

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, on this trip I have one day max to give to Iceland. There is no way to work in more due to responsibilities both before and after the trip.

Soooo- no need for anyone else to encourage me to stay longer - I simply can't!. But I definitely would love to go back for a longer visit in the future!

The purpose of this query was simply to ask if the expense of staying overnight was justified by what I could see in 24 hours (give or take) versus the 8 hours of a layover.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM

I think the Golden Circle is available as a full-day tour. It packs in the main highlights close to Reykjavik and I think it definitely justifies the cost. I also imagine Iceland may be more affordable now than it was 5 years ago when I was there.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:22 PM

YES - Iceland is definitely worth a one day stay - and longer as others have said. Agree with GaryCA - take a Golden Circle tour (Gulfoss is simply amazing) for an overview of the greater Reykjavik area. We had a late afternoon flight on our day of departure and squeezed in a city tour (think it was about 2 hrs) before heading to the airport - you might want to consider that, schedule permitting. The airport is a good 45 min-1 hr from city center.

You might look at Reykjavik Excursions for ideas on how to spend your time - think it's www.re.com. Both the Golden Circle and City Tour were booked with them.

Iceland is breathtakingly beautiful ... ENJOY!
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Oops-the correct web site is www.re.is. The other one takes you to a real estate site. Sorry.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 04:12 AM

We had the same dilemma and decided to add 24 hours in Iceland to our trip this coming July. So can't speak from experience, but I've done some research and found a tour company (www.grayline.is) that has a Golden Circle Express tour that only lasts half a day but still seems to manage the highlights. With our flight schedules we would have needed two nights in order to do a whole day tour. This way we will have (I hope) a couple of hours in Reykjavik, then a four hour tour, a short overnight and back to the airport. We found a hotel for 60€ (Gallery Central Guesthouse).
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
absolutely worth it, cranachin.

go for the longest possible lay-over, and prioritise the Golden circle. Reykjavik isn't much to write home about and the blue lagoon is ok for an hour or two, but in upwards of half a day in the Golden Circle you can see sights that are unique in europe - geysers, a beautiful waterfall [Gullfoss] and the gorge where the american and european tectonic plates meet.

and as you are travelling in August, you will have bags of daylight.. one night at about that time or year we visited Gullfoss and the Geysers at about 9pm, and you could still see well enough to enjoy them both.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 07:00 AM

Definitely worth it. We stopped on our way back from Paris to Boston a few years ago in early April. We arranged for a pickup at the airport and went directly to the Blue Lagoon. It was great!! It was snowing lightly and the whole experience was wonderful. We went from the Blue Lagoon by the same bus into the city. We stayed at the Hotel Fron, which we we would recommend. It is right in the heart of the city. The next day we walked all around and went up the top of the main church in town. We had a couple of dining experiences, one unusual Icelandic/Thai witch also doubled as a karaoke place. The weather was very brisk and cold, but clear and bright. I'm very glad we took advantage of the stopover. I recommend it.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 07:34 AM

this has all been very useful, since I think I'm going to fly RT NYC London on Icelandair, and I was wondering about the value of a one-day layover. Better than not seeing Iceland at all, it seems.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM

We did it about 10 years ago and just stayed in Rekayvik. We were able to fill an interesting day there too withut going onthe Golden Circle tour. One more thing: I would do it on the way back rather than the way over due to jet lag issues.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 07:10 AM

ah, I was thinking the opposite, but I guess if it's only one or 1.5, days, better to be fully awake.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 11:58 AM

elaine - I would agree that doing it on the way back might make sense, but please don't leave out the Golden Circle. IMHO definitely the best bit.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 12:07 PM

I've done it twice - stop over in Reykyavik on Icelandair flights - long ago but IMO Reykyavik itself is rather boring so 8 hours or 24 hours there would be about the same - but going outside Reykyavik is great - to thermal pools, etc.

The ride in from Keflavik Airport to Reykyavik sticks out in my mind - never saw such a barren - totally barren landscape before - nary a tree or plant in sight.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM

hi pal,

you've put your finger on one of the problems of touring Iceland - there are some great things to see but they are separated by mile upon mile of scenery that varies from the boring to the utterly tedious.

at least that was our experience; the great things WERE great, though!