Where to stay in Ft Lauderdale, near pier

Dec 29th, 2002, 01:47 PM
pattie

Where to stay in Ft Lauderdale, near pier

I have reservations at the Days Inn, Oakland for one night, pre cruise, but thought I might see if I can do better on Priceline after reading other posts about great deals. Firstly, what is Days Inn like, and secondly if I decide to change, what area should I be looking for? We need to return our National rental car prior to the cruise, to the FLL airport.
I have never used priceline, although I have looked at their site. It makes me a bit nervous. Is it worth a shot?

Dec 29th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Theresa

We always use Priceline for FLL and have had excellent luck.

You may want to look at the website:
www.biddingfortravel.com
and click on Florida and FLL under hotels. This will tell you what hotels Priceline uses, what zones and what people are winning for their bids. We always use Downtown FLL zone.

We have been getting Embassy Suites for around $50 - $60. If you have questions - I would look at www.cruisecritic.com and do a search on Priceline. You will get tons of help from there.

Good luck!

Dec 29th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Theresa

Sorry - meant to add this.

I have stayed at Amerisuites on 17th Street, Embassy Suites on 17th Street (sometimes called 15th Street), Renaissance on 17th Street. I prefer Embassy Suites and Renaissance. Other good choices are Hyatt and Marriott. All of these hotels are accessible on Priceline.

Sorry - no experience with Days Inn.

Dec 30th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Starfish

Since you are getting a car you could stay anywhere in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Lots of hotels are in North Ft Lauderdale. Marriott courtyards etc.

I am not familiar with the Day's Inn you mentioned but some of them can be pretty seedy.

I would opt for Marriott, Embassy Suites, Comfort Inn, or even La Quinta Inn Airport. ( The other La Quinta's are bad).

Dec 30th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Cruiser

Pattie--
In Oct. I stayed in the SpringHill Suites Marriott for three nights prior to my cruises in FLL. They have a very dependable free shuttle from the airport and to the pier. They also have a nice free breakfast. There are fast food restaurants and a K-Mart within walking distance (for that possible forgotten item, cans of pop, etc.) Oops, I forgot you have a rental car and can go anywhere. I paid AAA prices for this stay at $61. per night. Nice pool and hot tub and exercise room. The suites have a micromave, refigerator, a large TVs, etc. I thought it was a nice place to stay. You can get by without a rental car unless you have other specific places to visit.
The shuttle to the pier was swift and easy. Just sign up for the time you wish to leave and the van is there. I left the hotel at 11:05 and was IN my cabin at 11:35. That's the fastest I ever experienced. That was a Celebrity ship and they have it working wonderfully. From the pier back to the airport, I took a cab--about $7.25 I believe.
Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Jan 17th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Lois

Cruiser.. I just booked a room at Springhill.. so its a nice place? I know its part of the Marriott chain... got a room for 75.00...including the breakfast and the shuttle..Cant wait to go.. but i dont sail till May !!!

Jan 17th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Cruiser

I was answering Pattie's post who was going to stay at a Days Inn.
Read my post right above yours,Lois. Can't tell you much more. With the suites, I felt it was a step above a Days Inn. It met my needs at the time. The management was friendly and tried very hard to accommodate.
It was a positive experience for me from free shuttle, free breakfast, cleanliness, dependability, etc.
Hope you are happy with it in May.
What cruise are you going on, Lois?

Jan 18th, 2003, 04:35 AM
m

Do NOT stay at that DaysInn. Not a good area. Stay at any of the hotels listed by the other posters.

Jan 18th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Lois

Hi Cruiser.. I am going on The Century..Eastern Caribbean, thanks for the input

Jan 18th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Cruiser

Lois: I did the Eastern AND the Western on Century on Oct. You will have a fantastic time.
Embarkation was a breeze! Century knows how to do it right!! Any other questions, just let me know.

Jan 18th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Lois

Cruiser,, thanks this is my first cruise in 10 years... going Solo.. thankfully I am outgoing..and hoping some others will be too...I requested late seating for dinner at a large table.. I heard the food on the Celebrity is excellent...I am going on the Century.. I cant wait!

Jan 18th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Lois

cruiser.. sorry I was repetitive about which ship.... LOL I need to read my previous posts before typing....