Search

What is a "no-host" mini-bar?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:32 AM
CGH
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is a "no-host" mini-bar?

We are planning a HAL cruise in Alaska next summer and have decided to book a deluxe verandah suite. The description says "no-host mini-bar". We haven't cruised before, so we're not sure what this means. Hopefully someone can enlighten us! Many thanks.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Don't take my word for it since I've never had a similar cabin, but I'd have to believe that it means that there is a small stocked bar that you help yourself too. Then, each day as it is re-stocked, you are charged for what you used. At least that is the way mini bars work in hotel rooms that have them.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM

Yes the OP is right. You will pay for each and every drink you have, both in your room and throughout the ship. You will also pay for all sodas. The only "free" drinks you will find will some juices, iced tea, regular coffee, and maybe milk.
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 02:16 PM
katybird

Aren't the free beverages mentioned above only with meals in the dining rooms, buffets and room service?

Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM

To avoid getting charged for the mini-bar beverages, you can ask your cabin attendant to remove them. Then you can fill the mini-bar with your own beverages that you brought on board or purchased along the way.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 05:27 AM

Of course, since most if not all of the cruise lines ban bringing aboard any alcohol, you will need to smuggle the goodies on. Some lines will confiscate your booze and return it on the last day of the cruise. If you do buy booze in the on-board shops you can be pretty sure it will be held until the last day. Some lines are a lot stricter than others. Bringing booze back from ports of call can also be iffy, depending on the cruise line. So one must become adept at sneaking it on. Sad but true.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Mel

Re: the above post: HAL lets you bring on beer and wine; no sneaking there. If you want the hard stuff, I'm told the bottles for purchase are actually not much more than retail prices.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:25 PM

I've often read that HAL will let you bring wine on board, but never read beer. Can anyone confirm this? It would save me lots of money!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 09:01 PM

On Princess we purchased liquor in one of the bars. which was not much above retail, and used it in our room. This was last year.