Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

What can I do with luggage after disembarking the ship and before a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale (7 hour flight delay)?

Search

What can I do with luggage after disembarking the ship and before a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale (7 hour flight delay)?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 11:28 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We don't want to go all the way to the airport and then leave to sightsee a bit. Is there somewhere near Princess docking to lock luggage up for 6 or 7 hours?
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Princess does offer a couple tours on the day of arrival back in Fort Lauderdale that include transporting you and your luggage to either the Lauderdale or Maimi airport. We took one that included a 1/2 hour airboat ride in the everglades and a short visit to Flamingo Park. I believe the cost was $48 per adult.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:28 AM

Faced the same problem last year. There is a Marriot at the marina near where the cruise ships come in. Get a taxi to it. They will store your luggage for a hours for a tip to the bellman who is out front. Then take the water taxi from right there down the inland waterway that you can get on and off at certain places. Such beautiful homes with someone describing what you are seeing.
We ate lunch in the Marriot which was very good or else stop on the waterway off the water taxi.
Waited in the airport off another cruise and really pondered what we could do the next time that would be more enoyable. Someone wrote on Fodors this plan which we found to be the answer to that long wait in the airport as it is very crowded.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:29 AM

Asked the same about a storage place near the docks. There is none unless there is something new since a year ago when I was there.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 01:11 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thank you for your answers. I really appreciate the detail. I will definitely take an excursion (we are doing all the ones on the cruise ourselves anyway) and/or use the Marriot. I can't see wasting 7 hours, at least, in such a beautiful city.

THANKS!
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Just a small FYI - we flew out of FLL yesterday and if your flight is departing 3 hours or later they will not let you check your luggage. There were a boat load of people just hanging around outside of the terminal until they reached that "3-hour" window. Then, going through security, it had to be 90 minutes or less.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Hi JJ5, we are running into the same time delay ourselves with an approximate 7-8 hour span of time between the time we port and when we need to be at the FLL airport. I would be curious to hear your feedback on what you did and if you were happy with your choice. I like the ship excursion idea.

I'm not sure when you are back, but our cruise departs on March 9th.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:17 PM

I know with RCCL you can drop your suitcases off at the airlines booth after you clear customs. They had American, United, Delta and I forgot who else. We then traveled to our hotel where we had a day rate fee to enjoy before our flight.
Hope this helps
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 09:49 AM

As inconvenient as going to the airport may be, I know when I have delays that are long I would prefer to know my luggage is already at the airport waiting for me. This way there is no way of forgetting where it is and waiting to get access to it.