visa for cruise to Canada?

Mar 8th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 41
visa for cruise to Canada?

We will be going on a roundtrip 5 day cruise from Boston, MA with two stops in Canada (St. John & Halifax). My travel partner is a passport holder from Palau. Does anyone know what required travel documents he needs for this cruise?

I have already tried contacting travelocity (where we purchased our cruise package) & cruise line for this information. Both replied to call the Canada consulate. Tried calling but they do not accept calls. Help please....
dakine is offline  
Mar 8th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 63,574
No need to phone them -- there is a website that explains entry requirements
janisj is online now  
Mar 8th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,723
Does your travel partner holds a green card or just visiting? That will make a difference. A US ALein residence (green card holder) does not require a visa to visit Canada, regardless of citizenship (There are exceptions to the rule but very few).

Generally a visa to Canada is requried for Palau Island citizens. A port visit off a crusie ship compare to flying in may make a difference too as allowances maybe made for cruise passengers.
Eschew is offline  
Mar 8th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 41
He does not have a green card. He only has a work permit.
dakine is offline  
Mar 9th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,723
I think there are 2 potential issues rather than only 1.

First one is visiting visa to Canada, which may or may not be necessary. Short of calling the consulate or visiting one. You can always just get one (done and over with).

The second issue maybe returning to the US. Does the work permit allows multiple entry and exit from the US? A call to the US immigration just to confirm re-entry to the US is permitted.
Eschew is offline  
Mar 11th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 41
Sounds like getting a visa is the safest option. thanks for advice.
dakine is offline  
Mar 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 10,085
A visa is likely mandatory, not just "safe".
doug_stallings is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:56 PM.