Vancouver Laundry Services and Packing Tips for Vancouver and Alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be in Vancouver for three days before taking a seven day Alaska cruise. I'm worried about overpacking. Does any one have any packing tips? Are there some good laundry facilities close to either the cruiseship terminal or the Executive Inn Downtown on Howe Street? Thank you so much for your help?
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 03:44 PM

I don't recall where we stayed in Vancouver several years ago before boarding a cruise ship, but the hotel itself had a laundry facility. Check your hotel for that accommodation.
If you pack for layers, you'll be fine. You don't mention when you are traveling to Alaska, but layers will be the most comfortable.
On the cruise take something like silk underwear to put under slacks, which you can also wear into towns depending on the weather. The cruise ships are generally covered, so you can get away with just a sweater or fleece onboard. I brought turtlenecks and a few short sleeved t-shirts to layer under the sweater/fleece, depending on the temperature. We were lucky to have 70 degree temps in Alaska (a heat wave!) so we were very comfortable the whole trip. Bring a rain jacket to cover it all up, which will also serve as a windbreaker.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:28 AM

It is vitally important to be appropriately dressed. I see way too many traveler's who aren't. Layers are the key- light weight and quick drying a must- main reason I no longer take jeans- lined and unlined wind pants for me. Consider a removable lined nylon jacket, knit hat, scarf, gloves. Rain gear - 2 pair of walking shoes. As for laundry- a lot of hotels do have laundry services- if not the one you are staying in perhaps another close by? But I always do my laundry in Skagway- State and 2nd. You can be done in a little over an hour with their fast propane dryers. Plus the bonus of seeing some real Alaskans. Shuttles from the ship- stop a block away if needed.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Katriean:
Why waste even 1 hour of your great Alasakan vacation doing laundry? Take 9 days of clothes with you (you'll be wearing the 10th day's).

But a couple sweatshirts along the way if you really need something. Layers work the best since Alaskan weather is difficult to predict.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 02:45 PM

I do not do laundry on vacations, however, Princess ships have laundry rooms on each deck. Just color co-ordinate your clothes, and have a great trip!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:14 AM

On the ships you will be spending far more than an hour doing half a load of laundry.