clothes for Alaska cruise in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am taking my first cruise ever..inland Alaska cruise in mid-May. Wonder how to dress on land and on boat. Appreciate any information.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM

DH and I will be in Alaska the end of May and most of June. I was told by several to dress in layers. We are not taking a cruise though. Have acouple boat trips reserved, but just for a day thing. And was told also for them to dress in layers.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 08:01 AM

You need a wide range of attire visiting Alaska. Meaning lightweight lined jacket, layers of turtlenecks, sweatshirt, lined wind pants, rain gear, knit hat and gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:13 PM

I agree with BudgetQueen. I sailed last summer through Alaska and was surprised at how cool the weather was. I brought several pairs of shorts, capris, and flip flops and didn't wear them at all - it was just too cold while on the ship. While you might luck out and have great weather, think about bringing a rain coat or poncho. Especially if you're traveling through Ketchikan, the weather can be rainy, and you'll be grateful to have something to keep the rain out. My recommendations - a turtleneck, a couple of sweatshirts or sweaters, long-sleeved t-shirts, long pants, warm socks, warm jacket, rain jacket, and good walking shoes.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 03:21 PM

On a related note, how formal is the formal dinner nights on the cruise? I'll be on HAL. We don't want to lug around suits, gowns, dress shoes, etc. when our main purpose is to do active things in Alaska. But at the same time we don't want to miss out on those special dinner nights. What to do?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful information. I will dress in layers and take warm clothes.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 02:02 PM

We are taking an Inside Passage Cruise in May. Budget Queen's and daph24ne's advice sounds right. But also check the Cruise West website and check on FAQ's. This is answered there, as well. It also talks about temperaures. Looks COLD.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:27 PM

Make sure your outermost layer is a lighter waterproof jacket w/hood. Mine is a "Columbia" brand, but any will do. Layers is the rule "de rigueur".

Sorry to report thus far, weather on the inside passage has been cold...we were supposed to get an inch of snow Friday night, which didn't materialize below 1000 feet, thank goodness. Maybe spring will arrive in time for your trip! Plan on rain, no matter what. Attitude is half of it- so plan on it being fun, and it will be.