Urgent - What to pack

Aug 14th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Urgent - What to pack

We are taking a Mediterranean cruise leaving on 10/5 - Venice to Barcellona. Anyone who has taken one then, can you please advise me ASAP as to what kind of clothes we will need. Is it warm enough to wear shorts on tours? Will we be able to sunbathe outside on the ship? I know in some cases we will have to have long pants (Rome) but I just don't know what to pack. Thanks.
Aug 14th, 2005, 01:55 PM

When we were on a Med cruise last October, we wore long sleeve shirts & jackets, long pants, closed toe shoes & socks in some ports, and shorts, short sleeve shirts and sandals in others.

I am a bit puzzled--why is this so urgent, if you're not leaving for 7+ weeks?
Aug 15th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Not so urgent I guess. Just trying to plan.
Aug 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM

IME, the weather should be pleasant enough to sunbathe.

I would not wear shorts in Europe, period. I pack skirts, dresses and capris for daytime with cap sleeve shirts or twin sets. Lightweight fabrics are best. Italy is not the only country that is conservative so plan accordingly.

The ship you are cruising will determine the degree of formality in the evenings aboard. Who are you cruising with?

A light sweater or two is worth packing. It can be cool, especially in Venice which is damp.

Good walking shoes are a must for the uneven streets you will find everywhere.
Aug 18th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

We will be on the Grand Princess. I was also wondering how people dressed for dinner on these European cruises, assuming they are a little more upscale than say the Caribbean. I saw someone said that tuxedos were passe. However it says there are two formal nights. They say for the rest of the time, dress as you would for a nice restaurant. From many previous cruises (and none too recent) there have been some less casual nights than others. Can someone elaborate on these points. Thanks.
Aug 18th, 2005, 07:30 PM

I too am having trouble with packing. I've been on the Europe board and everyone talks about packing light. By this they mean (1) 22" suitcase. We will be doing Rome, Florence and Venice for 7 days before the ship leaves. I just read that you can't get a 26" suitcase down the isle on the train.
I'm posting this cry for help to all you Med. cruisers. We will be on a 12 day cruise. What do I take. or better yet, what do I leave home!?
Thanks for your help
Aug 19th, 2005, 04:14 AM

On another cruise board we are talking about the same problem, a week later.. The weather should be somewhere in the 70's. I would not take shorts, but capris, slacks and skirts if you intend to visit any churches.. We have already been warned that Barcelona is a very sophisticated city. Also, add an umbrella and an all weather coat/jacket. Depending on the length of your cruise it is impossible to "pack light"... I know it is for me. If you have days at sea then I'd toss in a few short outfits.
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:36 AM

PACK LIGHT! You will not regret it. If there is something you must have, you will buy it. Firstly, bottoms should be black and neutral. Tops can be colorful that can be worn with all bottoms. Two pairs of pants should work - I use black for the evening on the ship with a dressy top as well as in port with a tee or sweatshirt. To accommodate changes in weather, pack layers that coordinate with everything. Evenings may be billed as formal but I'm finding formality is largely ignored. That little black dress can be worn several evenings with different accessories - jewelry, scarves, shawl. One pair of dress shoes to go with all, one pair of walking shoes (sneakers), one pair of shoes for wearing in the evening on casual nights. (Wear your bulkiest shoes to travel in. Shoes take up much room in your luggage.)

Remember, you can rinse out underwear. Most ships have a retractable clothes line in the bathroom. Pack a few clothes pins. Use the free shampoo for detergent,
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:42 AM

(I'm continuing my tips - a slip posted my reply before I finished.)

We have cruised 25 times. The longest being 73 days. I consider myself somewhat of an authority on what to take. On our long cruises, I packed old clothes. When they became soiled, I threw them out. The shoppong in some of the ports was so fantastic that I was able to buy new for a fraction of the cost in the US.

Also, remember that the first and last evenings will be very casual. On the last night we usually wear the clothes in which we will travel the next day.

Make lists before you stow items in luggage. Study the lists and revise, revise, revise.

Happy sails.
Aug 27th, 2005, 04:10 AM

I like to pack light so that I have room in my suitcase for shopping. (Exchange difficult but I liked the linons and certain cooking items). I took three capris pants, one black formal looking pant and three tops for evening elegant/casual to formal. I prefer layered to accommadate dining outside or with air conditioning. After traveling in Europe for a week, we boarded and unpacked and called our steward to have clothes cleaned or washed the first day. They were returned by 2:00 the next day. We also hand-washed some items throughout the trip in our room. Somewhat costly but so easy.

I did not wear shorts in Europe. Most cities are like New York, Chicago... People do, but I preferred the capris look. For touring, I also packed two different pairs of walking shoes (not gym shoes) so that I could switch. We walked at least 5 miles a day. I did have gym shoes for the exercise room and walking on the ship.

Have a great time.