Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Formal nights on Celebrity Summit...husband trying to avoid....

Mar 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

My husband is rethinking bringing a suit/dress shoes, which take up so much room in a suitcase, now that the airlines are charging for luggage. He does not want to rent a tux on board, either. Does anyone know if room service delivers that same meal(steak/lobster)on formal evenings? We could eat on our balcony.
Mar 17th, 2009, 06:18 AM

You should ask your travel agent to call Celebrity and ask.
Mar 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM

I'm taking a Baltic cruise on Celebrity in July. I've been reading a lot of stuff on Cruise Critic because this will be my first time on Celebrity.

From what I've been reading, the suit (I'm assuming it's dark) should be ok on formal night. Some people like to wear the tux, but there should be a strong percentage of men wearing dark suits on formal nights.
Mar 17th, 2009, 10:37 AM

My guess is that you can order the steak/lobster to your room on formal night.

If not, would he at least considering wearing a shirt and tie to the dining room? There are always a few who forego the super fancy duds on formal nights.
Mar 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM

I just got back from a cruise.

I packed a black blazer, three pairs of pants (beige, black and jeans), three button up shirts (one plain white), a few t-shirts and two pair of boardshorts that were good for swimming or wearing as shorts (polyester with pockets).

On formal nights I wore the black blazer and black pants with a regular white dress shirt and added a long black tie with red pocket square one night and a blue tie and blue pocket square the other night.

On other nights I could wear the blazer with the beige pants and a casual button up shirt. I packed a pair of plain leather Ecco walking shoes that could be dressed up or down.

Since I wore the blazer on the plane the only real change to my packing list was one pair of pants were black, one button up shirt was white and my walking shoes were black. I don't normally carry a pair of jeans but self-service laundry on the ship made that practical. I also carried one extra pair of shorts. Everything fit in my carry-on.
Mar 20th, 2009, 03:16 PM

bdjtbenson is right. All you really need is dark colour blazer so it should not take up too much room. I have a light weight Navy blue jacket that is perfect for travelling. I personally don't like room service so it is not an option for me. You can always use the buffet and see if they can get you the same food as the main dining room. The service maybe different, but I bet you can ask and get the same food as in the main dining room. You may be pleasntly surprsied.
Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:38 PM

I started a long chain a few months ago on this topic. You do NOT need to back all those extra clothes. Where a blazer on the plane and pack a pair of dark pants (that can be worn elsewere, a dress shirt and a tie and you are in. In fact you will be one of the more dressed up people on board.