Search

Formal nights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Formal nights

With the airlines charging for extra bags and overweight bags, isn't time the cruise lines abandoned the archaic practise of formal or even dressy nights? These nights require just too much extra packing and no one bothers to observe them anyway. This is no longer 1920 and only the rich can travel.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM

I am with you on this one for the reason you mentioned, but also for other reasons.
When I am on a vacation, especially in hot, tropical climates, the last thing I want to do is put on a tux(or even a dark suite and a tie).
Even though I am retired now, I did my share of "dressing up" for work; I no longer have to nor do I want to.
Having said that, I do like dressing for dinner differently than lunch, i.e. casual or dress pants and a nice shirt - what they call "Country Club casual".
Fortunately there are a number of very nice cruise lines that no longer have a formal nights (Oceania, Azamara). On these cruises people can dress up or not - it is their choice.I wish others would follow. There will always be Cunard and Crystal for those who like to and wish to dress up. I do realize that many people do like to dress up.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 07:24 AM

I love formal nights, one can still travel with airline restrictions and have formal wear. If you don't want to dress formally, then find a cruise line that no longer has formal nights.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Though I don't consider myself a "formal" person taking appropriate garb for one or two nights on a ship is fine with me. Anyway you are on vacation so have fun. If you don't like formal night go to the buffet or order in. JM2C.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM

My "formal" clothes take up far less room than regular clothing - a light weight dress I can roll up, some floaty black pants and a silk top. I know of no cruises that have naked night at dinner - you have to wear something, and dressy clothes take up less space and weight than a regular skirt, pants, even jeans. One pair of strappy sandals and you have a wardrobe.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Gail,
It's a lot easier for women. For me to wear a tux, I need all that goes with it (shoes,etc) and it takes up a lot of room and /or different type of a suitcase; and I cannot exactly "roll it up", as you say. All that for 1 or maybe 2 nights?
That is why I choose cruises that do not have formal nights, although those that wish to dress, up may.
It's the individual's choice, not a ship requirement.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Actually it used to be a ship requirement but it seems those days are coming to an end. So then what DO you allow? Anything? In this are I think it is a ships requirement for a dress code. Afterall its their ship, their policy. You have to have some standards. For guys a tux is not necessary, just a dark suit. I bring that, one or two ties and dress shirts and shoes that can be worn on non-formal nights as well so space has not been a problem for me.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Jacketwatch,
I agree it is the ship's policy.
That is why I choose a ship that does not require suits at any time and thus I am complying with their rules/policies. In reality, there is not that much difference in packing a "dark suit" vs a tux - neither can be folded like shirts & pants without a coat.
I do like to dress well for dinner, but it does not include a jacket. You can still dress well without a suit.
Very few restaurants in all of US require jackets any more - just a reflection of changing times and peoples' preference for casual dress(as opposed to Europe, which tends to be more conservative). That does not mean that people do not dress well.
Dressing casual is my preference on a vacation. Everyone can do as they wish - just choose the right cruise line for your preference.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Aristotle,

I agree with you that formal dressing is more trouble than it's worth.

For men, sometimes a dress shirt and tie and nice slacks is enough. I have never seen anyone turned away from the DR in a dress shirt and tie. Some say they have seen this - who knows? If eating in the DR is important to you, I would try it that way.

Gail, not every woman likes the kind of formal wear that "rolls up." It is convenient, but not necessarily flattering on all types of figures. A well thought-out semi-dressy outfit that could pass for the upper end of Smart Casual is more versatile and something you can wear in the real world.

Those who enjoy dressing up can still dress to their heart's content. Seeing a gentleman in a dress shirt and tie is not going to ruin your evening ... or is it?
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 02:03 AM

Paul: No issues here. I agree with most of what you are saying. If you don't like wearing a jacket, which of course is a requirement for formal nights only, OK. Times have changed and cruise ships are changing too to reflect that. Will there one day be more relaxation of dress codes? We'll see. Larry
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 07:54 AM

Larry,
I think attitudes will change, but slowly.
I read last year that SilverSea(of all cruise lines) was going to experiment with no formal nights on selected cruises.
I don't have the reference to that article, nor do I know whether they did it.
Generally cruise lines, like any other business, have to follow the trend and preferences of people if they want to stay in business (no matter how slow that change may be).
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM

QUOTE: Author: Paulchili
Date: 07/27/2008, 11:54 am
Larry,
I think attitudes will change, but slowly.
I read last year that SilverSea(of all cruise lines) was going to experiment with no formal nights on selected cruises.
I don't have the reference to that article, nor do I know whether they did it.
Generally cruise lines, like any other business, have to follow the trend and preferences of people if they want to stay in business (no matter how slow that change may be). ENDQUOTE.

PAULCHILI - YOU HAVE STATED IT VERY WELL. CUSTOMER PREFERENCE WILL SET THE COURSE.

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:30 AM

As far as Formal nights go some people like them some do not. That means they are all human. Well in my case I come close and I do take either a suit that I can also wear as a Sport Coat with another pair of slacks(Solid Navy Suit), or just take a Navy Blazer and a couple pairs of slacks along with the shirts and ties.I sold Mens Clothing for many years and I had many people tell me that they could wear all the things all you have stated to the DR and not had a problem. On our cruises I have seen men go to the Formal Night Dinners without coats and ties and not have a problem at all but? you never know. On our last two Princess cruises we had people wear other things to formal nights without a problem. On the last cruise several couples wore their Bath Robes because their luggage had been lost by the airlines(Cruise Line Airfare)which made for a great picture. I wore a Navy Blazer and Burgundy Turtle Neck once because I have a bad neck and I mentioned this to our Waiter and it was a big hit. Any way I can also give you some hints on packing your dress clothing for travel if needed. Ron
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM

Right on, Aristotle.

I tour more than cruise, and the tour company I take usually "recommends" a sportcoat and tie for only one night of the entire two-week tour. I decided to leave my sportcoat behind on the last tour. I was the only man without a sportcoat that night. However, several men said I was the smart one, because their suitcases were so full, and there were other items they could have brought that would have been much more useful.
My advice to people who don't like a dress code but don't want to change cruise lines or tour companies is to let the companies know in any surveys they receive and to write letters.
As the luggage restrictions increase and more people complain, the dress codes will change.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Some people like to dress up, doesn't matter what the airlines' requirements are. Why not to give people a choice, for those who is not dressed up - something more then just another buffet line?

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM

I wonder if this is an issue in Europe or Asia where formal wear is more accepted.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM

I wonder why Americans don't want to look good
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM

"I wonder why Americans don't want to look good"

FainaAgain,
Why do you assume or suggest that people (men) must wear tux/dark suits to look good.
What happened to casual elegant attire? What about all those fabulous male models in fashion magazines looking stunning in their "casual elegant" attire.
And I do agree, you should not be relegated to a buffet line just because you are not wearing a suit. Oceania & Azamara don't and they are quite upscale cruise lines.
They are some of the newest cruise lines started and thus reflect the latest trends and peoples' preferences. Other cruise lines (not all) are likely to follow
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Faina shame on you.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 03:46 PM

FainaAgain,
Why do you assume or suggest that people (men) must wear tux/dark suits to look good. What happened to casual elegant attire?

I never said men must wear tux/dark suits. On Princess cruises both my husband and father had suits much lighter then black, and looked appropriate.

They wore the pants during the day on non-formal night not to bring too much clothes. Also semi-formal shoes that felt comfortable and appropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -