Excursion advice for Juneau/Skagway ...

Mar 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Excursion advice for Juneau/Skagway ...

Traveling on Serenade of Seas with two kids (age 4 and 7) so limited on excursions due to their age
in Juneau, cant decide between glacier float trip and bus tour of glacier.
In skagway anyone do dog sled (and will do train too)
is the dog sled in JUneau better or same as Skagway?
Thanks!
Mar 18th, 2009, 03:39 AM

In Juneau, many people do a combination of Captain Larry for whale watching and then Coastal Helicopters for a glacier landing and dog sledding. They will co-ordinate if you want to do both, but of course it's costly, and you can just do the glacier/dog sledding. We also did the train in Skagway. I think the dog sledding would be very similar in each case, but maybe someone who has done both can compare. The glacier float trip, which we didn't do, is of course totally different. I'm not clear why you'd want to do a bus tour of a glacier if you are also going to do a dog sled excursion, which is usually on a glacier.
Mar 18th, 2009, 10:07 AM

If you mean bus tour of Mendenhall - will be boring for kids. The bus (some take the cheaper shuttle $7) takes you to the information center, and you only see the glacier from far away. I think only helicopters actually take you there landing on the glacier.

I remember taking a shuttle from the ship to downtown, and there were like a dozen booths/tables selling those tours. Don't worry, if you won't reserve a tour from the ship, you will do that at the shuttle stop.
Mar 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM

With age 4 and 7, it will tough.
I am not sure if they will like the whale watching float plane etc. For kids, there is not enough action to keep them occupied.
Take the Whitepass Yukon if they like trains.
There is also a tea house with the model train that might keep them interested for a bit.
Ask yourself what type of activities they like to do at home and go from there. If they like hiking, made be the glacier is the answer and they can walk around the trails.
Mar 21st, 2009, 06:05 AM

Skip the Mendenhall float trip, one of the few Alaska tours, I never recommend. VERY high cost for a so so tour at best, money is far better spent elsewhere, you get a very brief distant view of Mendenhall, rest of trip is trees and backyards. Not sure what your "bus tour of glacier" is??? But you can easily get a shuttle bus to Mendenhall glacier, hike around and look at the visitor center $14pp round trip. You may be better off with a cab? Which runs about $25 each way.

The cart ride dog sled tours are similar, again, very high costs for what you get unless there are significant kids discounts. There also is a combo tour that offers the White Pass RR one way, van/shuttle to Carcross Yukon, stop at sled dogs, a cart ride is an add on cost. Excellent varied LONG day. Chilkoot Charters runs this. If a train is not a must do, you can also rent an Avis car and drive yourself to Caribou Crossing (the sled dog stop)in the Yukon for a cheap option.
Mar 24th, 2009, 10:17 AM

Captain Larry for whale watching is hands down the best thing you can do. The kids will LOVE it.