Reload this Page >

Mendenhall Glacier

Search

Mendenhall Glacier

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Anita

Mendenhall Glacier

My husband and I have a 7-hour layover in Juneau. I need an opinion: With limited time/finances, is it worth making the trip to view the Mendenhall Glacier, or is it similar to Hubbard Glacier, which we'll see on our boat?

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Love

Take a look:<BR>www.juneaualaska.com<BR>The site has a bird's eye view video of Mendehall Glacier.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Theresa

When you get off the ship, there are several "tour desks" setup outside.<BR><BR>We were able to take a "blue bus" - can't remember the name of the bus company to Mendenhall glacier park for $5 each way. They drop you off at the park and the bus returns every 1/2 hour. There were several buses offering this service.<BR><BR>Yes it is worth seeing. You don't have to spend that much time there but it is definitely worth seeing.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:30 PM
dd

I agree with the last post. We signed up with one of the buses, much cheaper than booking on ship. We drove by a river and stopped were salmon were spawning (Sept) on the way to the Glacier. We saw a bald eagle pirched on the ice. I enjoyed Mendenhall as much if not more than Glacier Bay.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Annita

Thank you so much for your responses - it was exactly what I needed to know!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 08:04 PM
Juniper

Yes, it is worth it- your best bet is to take a bus over to the Visitor Centre at Mendenhall Glacier, and do one of the hiking trails- for free! My husband and I did the larger loop trail (they will give you a map to choose your trail); it took us about 2 hours, and it was so beautiful. The forest is very lush. There are look out points to see the Glacier. Another tip- if you do the hiking trail, order sandwiches up for room service before you go, and pack it in your packsack. Don't forget to pack baggies to take out food on these excursions.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:27 AM
Anita

Thanks, Juniper,<BR>We do love to hike, and will look for the trail you mentioned.<BR>We,re first-time cruisers, and wondered about boat-food - if it is tacky to take out food. Seems like since we're paying for it, we should be able to eat it wherever we choose!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
Charlie

Anita most cruise lines will pack a boxed lunch for you if you ask your waiter the night before.....have fun.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:43 AM
Juniper

Anita- haven't tried what above poster mentioned, but it's not considered tacky at all- like you said, you've payed for that food. Many cruisers pack along lunch baggies for this reason. I personally wouldn't go so far as go to the cafeteria and pack things from there (though some do and feel totally comfortable to do so), but the room service sandwich and fruit idea is more discreet and convenient. (Just get them to hold any tomato in the sandwiches as they got too soggy). I don't know what cruise you're on, but Princess cruises provides fresh fruit daily upon request. If you have any more questions, you may email me personally.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Anita

Thanks Charlie and Juniper,<BR>I really appreciate all the advise.<BR>I know what you mean about tomatoes making lunch soggy - ugg!<BR> Anita